Lyra Titan i with a Manley Steelhead....settings??

Just got the Titan-i after trading in my Helikon to Hollywood Sound in Hollywood, Fla. Sounds great!

Question...what settings/configuration of the Manley Steelhead pre-amp would be optimum?

I'm running it through the MM inputs now (on the advice of the previous owner who said this avoided step-up transformer....etc and was purer sound). But, the Titan is an MC cartridge... so?

Also, regarding gain....what are the trade-offs? I've got the gain on the Manley all the way up on the 65 setting, and there's NO problem with volume when running everything into the McIntosh C-100 preamp. It just gets quieter, maybe less 'dynamic' on the lower gain settings....but, why would anyone want less gain?

Then, there's all those Load capacitances and Z's to choose from....... Can't say I hear any differences twisting the knobs. Whassupwiddat?

Any help//advices welcomed.

Thanks, in advance.
jbatlanta
I agree with Whart about the extreme VTA sensitivity of the Titan. A change of as little as .3mm of height at the armpost (Vector arm, which is 9" in length), makes a substantial change in the sound.

JBatlanta, as you have noted, going to a higher numerical value of resistance in the loading (which actually DECREASES loading because it is in parallel), causes the bass to thin out. You would get a similar result by increasing VTA (raising the armpost of the tonearm). Thus, the two adjustments have a similar, but not identical impact on sound. This means that if your VTA is too high, you could sort of compensate by choosing a lower value loading; this would sound okay, but not ideal. I think it might be worthwhile to change VTA and then reset your loading by ear to determine whether you can get even better results.

The 25 ohm value you settled on seems to be low (a lot of loading), based on my experience and that of another Titan owner. Our phono stages are different, though we both use tube stages with a step up transformer at the front end. It could be the right setting in your setup, but it could also be compensating for too high VTA. That is why I suggest experimenting with lowering your arm just a bit, and then seeing if a different loading would get you to an even better result.

Have fun.
Larryi,

~ how may turns on the VTA dial = .3mm change? I have a Vector Mk3 and a Lyra Titan i on a 2800.

Thanks
Rich
Rmaurin,

I don't have the VTA adjustment mechanism. I have made a set of spacers out of 1/2" PVC pipe that have been filed down to different heights. The spacers differ in height by .3 mm (measured on a set of calipers). This difference is easy to hear. Perhaps one could discern an even smaller increment, but, I would have to make a ridiculous number of spacers.

You obviously have a much easier time making changes with the VTA guage. This is a big plus with the Titan. I don't know if the Titan is particularly sensitive or whether one easily hears the change because the top end of that cartridge is so clear, detailed and extended.