Graham Phantom damping fluid level.

Bob Graham says to use enough fluid to bring the level up to the top of the square profile machined on the bearing cap. The square is only about 1/4" in length. My question is, What level works best for you in relationship to this "square" profile?

I have tried only 3 different levels of fluid in my setup (maximum level to top of square, almost no fluid at all, & to the bottom of the square) but can't seem to obtain optimum results so I'm wondering what others use, although I guess it's really cartridge dependent. Is the fluid level super sensitive? FWIW I'm using a Koetsu RSP.
frank_sm
Has anyone tried contacting Graham Engineering? Last I called, the voicebox was full and email has been unresponsive. When I received my arm, it was SME mount and I wanted a template. I had to resort to buying a new armboard from TW for my Raven One.
Frank i found that if i lowered the tracking force just above the distortion point i get great highs. Then i adjust the damping level and it all seems to fall into place, great clean top end and monsterous bass.If i go to low on the damping fluid it becomes thin sounding .
Sirspeedy- i left Graham a message about the cartridge spacer early last week and i have received no response so far. I hear he is having some troubles hope things work out ok for him.
Hi Dgad, thanks for your input. I have unlimited VTA adjustment on my table so it doesn't matter whether I use a spacer or not, I can have tail up or down regardless.
I will play a little more with VTA to see if that helps. I'm getting very nice bottom end response, much better than I was getting with higher fluid level. The fluid level makes a huge difference in my setup.
Perhaps I will machine a brass spacer to see what that does.
Dgad, Have you actually tried using that much added mass (brass spacer) with a Koetsu?
Tshulba, Ducatirider,
If your Phantom is a later production the headshell is thicker than earlier productions thus eliminating the need for the spacer. I remember asking Bob Graham about it and the new arms do have a thicker headshell.