Considering going Vinyl--Please talk me out of it

I'm standing here on the vinyl cliff,peering over the edge...I had a TT in the eighties & nineties, an AR with the Underground Sound mods by George Merrill from Memphis, TN. It got destroyed in a series of moves, and my vinyl disappeared. I have a perfectly good CD player(Denon 1650AR),EAD PM2000 amp & EAD Ovation plus prepro, & thiel 2.3's. I would need a phono preamp before I could run whatever TT I obsess over enough to buy, as the Ovation has no phono stage. Push me over, or save me! mb
michaeljbrown

If you want less hassle, get a boom-box. Extremely convenient. All you need in a stereo system in one box. I've heard that they even come with a remote. Some of them have detachable speakers, so you can expand the soundstage all you want at any time. Very hassle free. And the sound? Very boomy (hence the name), just like your neighbor likes it. What about black backgrounds, silky highs and tight bottom octaves? All in there, in the box.

Now, it you want every listening experience to be priceless, get a nice turntable and buy just new records. Only a good concert hall and a middle seat can match the listening experience of a well set up turntable.

I think we've become a very accommodated society and we usually end up paying big bucks for convenience, not quality. Most of my purchases are delivered to my door, so I feel that a little bit of exercise while turning the record over is good for my health.

Regards,

iSanchez

Gee, I just met a bunch of very interesting and entertaining people by asking essential questions about vinyl; its like the people I've met while on a sailboat--only cheaper! Really, it is cheaper, isn't it? Isn't it?...tell me it is..........
Very well said iSanchez !!!! I completely agree with you especially the last two paragraghs . Cheers !
Hi Def digital is going to surpass analog playback at some time in the near future. It will be cheaper and more convenient as well. If I didnt have 4k+ albums that Ive collected over 40+yrs I wouldnt bother with vinyl. Indeed, if I could get back a 1/4 of what Ive invested Id quit now. Make friends with an analog fool and make 24/96 recordings of the records they have that you like and youll be way ahead. Just ask some of my friends.
A lot of very interesting replies here, but I have to say Elizabeth's is the best. I love it!

Cheers,
John