Is RIAA equalisation enough for Phono Stages?

This question was bought up in the latest HiFi+. In particular, the editors report back from the Dem he put on at the Rocky Montain show. To summarise the argument, he says that even after all companies signed up to use RIAA in the 70's I believe, in fact they did'nt. The poor results from DGG in particular, with screetchy, painful treble, is all due to this. Played with the proper correction, they are transformed.
Now a number of stages, both cheap and expensive, provide alternative equalisation, but not all, including many expensive ones. I believe Graham Slee at the cheaper end, EAR, Manley Steelhead, Zanden, all do, for example. Should it be a more important considerration in choosing a stage? Looking at discussions on this site for example, it does not seem to come up much.
david12
Tbg, thanks, but since I've got the Sentec now (and having a great time playing with it), I think I'm set for the moment!
Patrickamory, can you tell us more about the Sentec. I have not heard of it, nor can I google for it.
Hi Tbg, it's an all-tube unit from Sweden with almost 100 curves available, built by a retired (but apparently legendary) audio designer - cut and paste this link:

http://www.toneimports.com/sentec/sentec_eq10.html

So far it's been pretty revelatory on early '50s pressings, including Emarcy jazz, US Columbia classical (mostly pre-6-eye, i.e. blue label), early UK/Germany Decca and EMI mono classical (LXT, ALP, WALP, Furtwangler etc.), and mono French classical (Discophiles Francais). Cool looking to boot. All settings can be made on the fly.
Patrickamory, wow Tone Imports. They also import the EMT JPA-66, which I have heard. It gave a major improvement on the early LPs, such as the early 1950s, and 78s. It probably is more expensive than the Sentec. I just noticed that the Sentec is mono. Do you have two, or do you have a mono dedicated vinyl source?
The Sentec is mono - however it can be used with mono modern cartridges and stereo setups - it has two inputs and two outputs. Via a toggle switch, you can use it for true mono, with the outer groove wall (typically the less damaged one) for preference.