OK, record is now clean, how about the Stylus?

There has been a lot of emphasis above about keeping the STYLUS clean as even more important than cleaning the record. I use an Onzow Zero pad before each side of an album, then some Stylast stylus treatment.
Two questions: what do you think of that regimen (expensive)? what do you think about dipping the stylus on some Magic Eraser for cleaning (very cheap)??
rsasso
Why wait till it's gummed up? And there is a good probability that there is stuff there that you can't see even with your microscope.

Just to keep the pot stirred, did you also know that you shouldn't play a given track on a record twice in succession because of groove deformation from the diamond being dragged thru the plastic? You see, there's this little spec. called the "modulus of elasticity" for vinyl...

That's been beaten to death so many time on so many forums.
>> Why wait till it's gummed up? And there is a good probability that there is stuff there that you can't see even with your microscope. <<

Ok, Dan, for your edification, I'm going to type this VERY slowly so even you can understand it. Obviously, you have never looked at a stylus under a 'scope. Because, if you had, you'd know how silly your statement was. If you're stylus is dirty, or not, you will KNOW by looking under a microscope. How do you KNOW now if you got it clean? You don't, do you? You "feel" it's clean, or you "believe" it's clean.

Please, do not respond with some snmart-aleck comment, get a microscope and LOOK.

If you want to willy-nilly dip your stylus every 25 minutes in a product that wasn't made for that purpose because you "believe" it works - go for it! These are my last words on the subject...

-RW-
Is 200x enough power for ya'? Even that will not show everything that may be adhered to the diamond. I know it's as clean as I can get it. I trust the person who recommended cleaning after each LP side. BTW, you do brush the stylus after each side, don't you? What's the harm in a quick swipe with another tool? I don't trust using any solutions for several reasons and several cartridge manufacturers don't trust those solutions either. And that stuff IS made for the purpose.

The ME is being used by many, many people who are very happy with the results. Hell, Linn used to recommend the use of the emery paper from a pack of matches to clean the edge of the stylus. We're talking about lightly scraping the edge of a diamond. It ain't going to hurt it. Yes, there is the possibility of snagging it and pulling it off so one does need to be careful. Just like there is the possibility of snagging it on your shirt or whatever.

I don't give a damn if you or anyone else doesn't want to use the ME. Just don't try to tell me it doesn't work, is too dangerous, excessive, etc.

Hey, Rlwainwright, you're the one who came in swinging away first. Now you're all pissy because someone called you on it.
RW, That's fine, do use what you like, but you came in in as a self proclaimed expert, that your way was law, and other's methods hold no merit. This is your loss, nobody else's.

Why, or how can you assume what another person does?
What you sold, or looked at may have very well been 25-30 years ago? Hell, 30 years ago, I was cleaning my Shure V-15 with Denatured Alcohol, and thought I was doing the right thing. You tell me?

Don't assume that the "leg work" hasn't been done with the Magic Eraser, it has. While it hasn't been made for the specific purpose as you state, perhaps only because Proctor & Gamble marketed it first, would infringement, and also that some very savvy end users found it here first, doesn't mean it is in any way unacceptable to use. Other's can provide links to electron Microscope scans if you wish to talk microscopes?

I think you're assuming that you're partaking in a forum with mid fi end users. Quite the contrary.
Many of these folks buy, and use multi-$1,000 Cartridges like I change socks. Think they would take a chance ruining, or compromising the sound they have to offer?

I know the answer.

The ME does work, and works admirably. Take a $2 chance, and try it before making any more assumptions these users are willy nilly. Perhaps your pride is too hard to swallow? Keep an open mind, I try to. I always try to remember there's always somebody smarter than I out there as well. Mark
I observe the same ritual as the original poster. Before each side, I give a quick clean with Magic Eraser and then a swab with Stylast. I do have a good lab grade microscope and use a record cleaning machine. There is some loose debris on the stylus after one play, nothing is "gummed up" though. RW seems certain this is frequent cleaning isoverkill, too each his own. I just know that after regular use of the ME and Stylast for well over a year on near daily basis, my stylus is in great shape and looks like the day it was new. There is no accumulation of any sort around the base of the stylus where it inserts into the cantilever or in the end of the cantilever. Stylast evaporates very rapidly, so if it is applied with a delicate touch from a none too wet brush, it seems unlikely one could apply enough to run into the cantilever and have it migrate elsewhere through capillary action. I suppose there are those hamfisted enough to screw up anything though.