Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
In my opinion, only once but that view has been challenged by a record fluid designer who believes the process should be repeated semi-annually. Changing the inner sleeve at the time of steam cleaning ,as well as, encasing the LP cover in a poly clear cover reduces potential contamination . Of course, the air quality/purity in the home does affect the outcome as well. In my case I 've made the decision to have my home intensely cleaned : "Environmental Purification"; carpet deep extraction cleaning & sanitzing, dry cleaned drapes, all duet work extracted of dust and a house electronic filter. Cost about $ 500 - $ 1,500. I'm sure many feel that "over-kill" but that's a personal choice.
Crem,

Thanks for the info. Since I won't be have to steam clean the albums often, I figure I'll give it a try.

I picked up a steamer at Walgreens (it rang up as $19.99 although it was marked $29.99). I will pick up some water at Pep Boys tomorrow.

Target has some microfiber "pucks" that were marked as 90,000 fibers per square inch. They look they will be perfect for lightly scrubbing the debris out of the grooves while steaming.

Darrell
Question : Do any of you own a Monster 1200 , the steam cleaner blitz'ed on TV for $76 inc S/H ? If any do what is your personal experience with the 1200? Thanks
Well, I have steam cleaned about 10 albums now. I decided to use my Garage Sale purchases first, then move up from there. I have now used the process on all my Garage Sale purchases, and a few of my lesser liked albums from the used record store.

So far, there have been no mishaps/damage to any album, and some albums have shown a noticeable improvement (a lot less hiss and pops).

I think the steam cleaning clearly does a better job than simply using a carbon brush and some cleaning solution. and, it seems to be equal or less hassle than cleaning records in the sink. I know I would end getting my labels wet in the sink.

I think the steam cleaning is a great way to clean newly acquired vinyl, for those that don't have a record cleaning machine.

I am getting a VTI RCM next week. I will be trying a process like we saw in the video posted above. I plan to use steam with the RCM for all newly acquired vinyl.

Thanks to all that have made this an informative thread. This is a really good process.

Oh, and by the way, you may want to check out Target (automotive section) for some Microfiber "pucks". They seem to be the perfect size and softness (90,000 fibers per inch) for this. They have a removeable handle. It like it was built for cleaning records.

Darrell
"you may want to check out Target (automotive section) for some Microfiber "pucks". They seem to be the perfect size and softness (90,000 fibers per inch) for this. They have a removeable handle. It like it was built for cleaning records.

Darrell"

This sounds very promising Darrell. I looked at Target's website and couldn't find these thingees. Next trip into town I'll take a look at their store. Maybe a cost effective replacement for those expensive Disc Doctor pads???