Any experience with the new Linn Sondek upgrades?

The new arm seems monstrously priced since I just managed to do my upgrade three years ago. It was worth it but another five grand seems nuts. Perhaps the base upgrade at half that provides more benefit per kilo-buck, and it more in line with their theory that the platter comes first. Its gonna take me another three years before I can squirrel away that much if the new arm is that big an improvement.
aceto
I have what up until earlier this year would have been called a maxed out LP12. It has been a great table for me, but I have no plan at all to upgrade to the Ekos SE from my Ekos II. I am considering the Keel, but I'm not at all sure I'll plunge.

Eventhough the Keel is a remarkable sonic improvement, at 3k it is simply overpriced. After all, 3K will buy a fine second turntable (say an Origin Live Resolution or a used Michell Orb, if I'm lucky), and I've always like the idea of owning more than one table anyway.

Without realizing it, I think Linn is undermining their customer base with current pricing. They are leading even the faithful to conclude perhaps they have ridden the Scottish train far enough and it may be time to check out the other lines.
I would agree with Newmanoc as I am essentially in the same shoes.

Kinsekd if you did all these upgrades at the same time how can you have a quantitative understanding of improvement? I understand the convenience yet that is a lot of scratch. Had you auditioned these incrementally? Although I essentially agree with your upgrades I would have swapped the Keel for the Ekos SE for a possibly better improvement at a cost savings.

I have updated my Lp12 circa 1982 one step at a time and can unequivocally conclude that the Cirkus cut my surface noise by 50% plus well adding improved low level detail, the Lingo tightened up everything making everything more timbre correct, improving depth of stage, and added a greater (deeper) lower end. The Akiva quieted things down even better, especially on old well worn vinyl and has extracted even greater levels of low level detail which has also with no coincidence improved sound stage and instrument placing. All great sonic values. I too consider the Keel smart but extremely over priced and find it disenchanting that Linn would make the profit margins so high against their possible mass proliferation of raising the Sondek Lp12 name back to a place of respect amidst all the marvelous late comers to this industry/market. Their intent (marketing strategy) leaves me confused. They have been side-tracked from two channel analog for far too long IMHO but itÂ’s good to see them back with innovative ideas and not abandoning what made their name in the first place. It will take a home audition/evaluation and nothing less for me to fork out with that kind of cash on a Keel upgrade. As for the Ekos SE which still will not allow the end user VTA on the fly, as so many of the competitors have found need to offer. And to top it all off I couldn't determine the value of these new updates at the resent Linn Manufacturer/Dealer listening demo due to the all Linn amp and speaker compo. With all due respect, how can Linn discern source upgrades with a reference system so over dynamic and yet seemingly vacuous in musicality (the dreaded word audiophile comes to mind), it leaves me totally baffled! Yet I love my Sondek Lp12 so hey, what do I know?

Happy (analog) Listening!

The good Mr. Sayles and I are on the same wavelength with respect to the LP12. But we do diverge dramatically in our opinion of Linn electronics, of which I am most fond, and don't find lacking in musicality in the least. But I believe he is a tube guy, and I most certainly am not.
I respectfully disagree with Mr. Sayles. The point of this little exercise was not to microanalyze each upgrade individually. It was to hear the impact of how the upgrades worked together synergistically. As a whole. Which I felt was greater than the sum of the parts.
Kinsedkd - The "whole nine yards" upgrade - Keel, EKOS SE, and Akiva lists for about $10,945 (3000+4950+2995) if my figures are correct. I assume you got a good deal, including the Circus, by jumping all at once. It's nice you can afford to drop a large amount and consider the unit as a "whole", rather than to "microanalyze", but I'm sure many if not most Linn owners go the piecemeal upgrade route and are concerned about which upgrades are the most cost effective, as discounts are generally less available when upgrading step by step.