Tri-Planar with no anti-skate?

On a hunch I removed the AS weight entirely from my new TP 7 (Merrill table & Ortofon Kont H cart).

The sound improved to an astounding degree: tons more body, much more solid imaging.

Certainly, I must not have had the anti-skate optimally adjusted, I am curious if others prefer it this way too.
paulfolbrecht
You are not alone!

I use a VPI JMW 10 and no anti-skate! I have never heard any inner grove distortion on any LP. Do not believe test record anti-skate test tracks, they are all too severe for real recordings.

Harry of VPI was right on the 10, 10.5 and 12"" arms, but bent to "false" opinion, and now offers an anti-skate option for disbelievers.

Maybe a little anti-skate for short, 8 to 9" arms.

I used to be in the minimal antiskate camp. I setup everything else first and then dial in anti-skate by ear and test record. By using torture tracks on the test record, it resulted in a much higher antiskate setting than I would use by ear. I felt that my ears should be the ultimate judge and determined that is the best setting. Torture tracks were unneccessary torture for me and the stylus.

Recently, I visited a knowledgeable friend. He managed so much information from the groove that I have never heard. He suggested setting antiskate using the test record and than redo VTF, VTA and azimuth to suite to the new antiskate setting.

In doing this exercise, I have resulted in much better sound: much more detail, cleaner bass, a soundstage that extends as far to the right and to the left with no hole or gap in the middle.

At the increased antiskate setting, the azimuth is changed by a small amount. Under dynamic condition, the skating force applies an inward force on the tip of the stylus. THe antiskate applies an outward force at the headshell. The net result is a tiny amount of torque along the axis of the cartridge body and changes the azimuth.

After the new antiskate and azimuth is set. I proceeded to define a new VTF and VTA setting. I find that I can extract much more info by tracking at a lower tracking force. By properly using antiskate to compensate for skating, I can focus on adjusting VTF to properly align the coil within the magnet housing and minimize THD. Inadequate antiskate will encourage increasing VTF. If skating force and VTF are looked upon as a vector, increasing VTF will point the vector more vertically. This would minimize the nastiness generated by the skating force but would not change the net horizontal force acting on the cart. SImply, using the same force (skating) but tugging on a heavier load will result in less motion. It does not change the net horizontal force needed to completely counterract the opposing force.

Another friend of mine used an USB oscilloscope to look at THD with varying antiskate and azimuth. While proper azimuth is needed to point the stylus vertical to the record, proper antiskate is needed to keep the stylus tip at the very bottom of the groove. Inadequate antiskate will let the stylus track more along the inner groove away from the outer groove. This causes THD to rise in the right channel and obscure fine details.

The minimal (or no) antiskate setting along with increase VTF produce a warmer sound due to THD. THD is generated from the suboptimally tracted outer groove and the THD improperly raised VTF.

I was very grateful that my friends shared the info with me. My wife is forcing me off audiogon now. I will expand on the subjective difference betw the settings.
I'm not sure I understand. Did you mean to say that your friend visually observed total harmonic distortion?
I am with Glai. On my Triplanar with a Koetsu Urushi, the sound is very problematic with zero anti-skate. (But I have not removed the device from the tonearm, so I cannot comment on the putative benefits of doing that per se.) With AS set to zero, there is considerable distortion in the R channel and also a channel imbalance with respect to gain. Also, Palasr, I was interested to read that you found you could reduce or eliminate AS by increasing VTF a tiny bit. I cannot remember the formula for estimating skating force, but I thought VTF and skating force were directly proportional, so it seems odd that increasing skating force by increasing VTF would decrease the need for AS. (Maybe I am incorrect about the relationship between VTF and skating.)
Found this quote on Audiokharma, from someone named "Marcmorin":

"...the higher the friction of the stylus in the groove the MORE skating will occur. Groove friction is the driving force behind the skating behavior. The mathematical derivations should make that clear. It's the friction of the groove pulling on the stylus that tries to turn the tonearm around its pivot towards the spindle. More friction = more turning effort (torque or moment). Less friction = less turning effort. Groove friction is directly proportional to VTF since it is VTF that presses the stylus against the groove. More VTF = more friction force = more antiskating required. Less VTF = less friction force = less antiskating required."

Note, skating force is proportional to groove friction, and groove friction is directly related to VTF. My memory neurons are still firing, thankfully.