Recommended first turntable?

I'm in need of a turntable! I've never owned one and don't have a very large record collection yet, so I'm not keen on spending more than say...$250. The turntables that people recommend to me (ie Rega, Thorens, Ariston) all seem very pricy in the used market.

For those of you who helped with my amp search, I finally got a Parasound HCA-1000A and its matching pre-amp, the P/HP-850.

Thanks!
128x128ledhed2222
I think analog is the only way to go, I am hearing so much more than digital and it's more natural sounding. But if you are going to go analog I suggest to do it the right way. I picked up a used vpi tnt about two years ago and tweeked the sh*t out of it. What i am hearing at home is as good as the best at the expo that just passed in nyc. I strongly suggest vpi they give you the biggest bang for the buck.Remember also the phono stage is critical I suggest the ear 834p simply awesome and sumiko blue point special evo III cartridge is the bargain of the century for quality. good luck, take your time and save up for decent stuff don't throw money away just to get something for the time being.
"...take your time and save up for decent stuff don't throw money away just to get something for the time being."

I second that motion, but I wouldn't assume you have to go to a TNT or any other VPI. Lot's o fish in the sea. Given your disposition, I would think Rega but consider moving up from the bottom rung. If you were to really splurge (for you) and get the new P3/24, you would have a significant upgrade path without replacing anything, not to mention WAY better sound right off the bat than the P1.

As I've often said before, if you want to keep the budget down, get the best table/arm you can get and skimp on the cartridge and phono stage for the short run. You can get a cheap Grado or Sumiko for $40 and the Rolls phono stage for $75, and replace both in a year with something comensurate to the table, at a loss of $50 if you sell them.

If budget is not a problem and you're just being conservative, I can appreciate that but I suggest you're over doing it. You're not doing yourself any favors by selling yourself that short. You'll save money by upgrading now rather than later at a loss, and you'll be enjoying much better music in the mean time.
Pedrillo and Piedpiper,

I understand and appreciate your point, but at $300 I'm already spending a lot for me. If I can find a used P3 or a VPI for around that price, great! But entry level is not $700. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense to splurge; I have maybe 20 records. As far as a phono stage goes, I won't get one yet. My pre-amp has a MM input and I plan on getting a decent MM cartridge. I've never listened to vinyl on better than a mass-market table and I still prefer it. While expensive tables probably will sound better, it's just overkill for my needs.
Post removed 
makes sense to me. I can only guess where you're coming from 'till you spell it out. Just remember, a $400 table/arm with a $40 cartridge will give you better sound than a $300 table with a $140 cartridge, assuming the components are well chosen. Enjoy!