Fixing Up Old Thorens

I have my dad's old Thorens TD 150 MKII with the original tonearm. I think the cartridge was replaced in the late 80s. It has been in storage for the past 10 years or so but I occasionally pull it out thinking that I might get into it. So my question is, how much money would I have to shell out to get this thing up to speed? I am guessing the table needs a good once over by a tech and I am sure that there are new tonearms, etc that are much better than what is on there. What would getting this in shape cost and can anyone recommend a good shop to take it to? I am near Tampa FL. Thanks
kemp
Have to agree with Goofytwoshoes. I recently bought a nice old TD160 and other than cleaning and adding a touch of Synthetic oil to the bearing..Still have the original belt.. No extra cost except for clening materials and 1 can of Synthetic oil.. Looks and works great...Pick up a cheap cartridge ( before you heavily in invest ) to see what type of cartridge you want to spend real money on..Give it a litle time and use what you have on hand first......
Hi guys I recently purchased a Thorens TD 150 (MK 1 I think). I added a RB300 tonearm with Ortofon red.The initial test was very disapointing, with vertually no bass. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have a decent amp and speakers. I am a joiner and am really looking forward to building a new plinth from maple and a lovely piece of ebony for the arm board, but my enthusiasim has waned with the poor bass level.
Tomjacksons, the lack of bass likely means that the platter is now too close to the top plate and you need to adjust the springs. There is a good tutorial at the analogdept site, and this post at Vinyl Engine from a former Thorens employee will also help you learn how to do this--http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7020&highlight=justage

Scroll down to the post by Violette. On that-auction-site the poster Violette (Joel) also sells wonderful lubricants and Thorens-spec belts for the various Thorens models.

Also at VE is a Thorens overhaul guide (authored by Violette) that you might print for reference, it's terrific.

Jim
to Tomjacksons :

I have the same experience with the Rega RB300 on another turntable. It seems to have a very "midrange" sound. Very weak bass. As far as i can remember speed accuracy = good treble and all the bass is essentially in the arm...
Make sure the rear of the arm is high enough too. If it is too low, bass modulation will reduce the tracking pressure, IOW weak bass.

Also make sure you have the cartridge connections correct. If one channel is out of phase, you may experience weak bass.