Equilizer to reduce surface noise on bad records?

I know that high end shuns away from using equilizers, but I was wondering if anyone has used one to reduce surface noise and pops and clicks on records? I have some record albums that I enjoy but are not in the best shape, I thought that maybe an equilizer would help but do not want to buy one if it is not going to do anything. If it does work, which frequency band would I reduce? I would only use the equilizer on the bad records and switch it out on the good ones. I have a Rega Planer 2 turntable with a Benz ace cartridge.
cal208
Post removed 
Cal 208

I would take the time and effort to replace the records that you feel are importent to you. Just for fun take a look for some of the titles.here and elsewhere. Bargins can still be found and it will make your collection much more significant to you personally. Just for fun name a few and lets see what the analog crowd can dig up for you. Sometimes its the journey not the destination.

Regards

Groovey Records

Listening to

Magical Mystery Tour Mono Capitol 2835
$5 from Saint Vincent De Paul Society
From all the responses so far it seems that an equilizer is not a good idea so I think I will forget that. The records that I have that have surface noise are mostly from smaller and private labels so I doubt that there are any CD's for them, and I would rather not have to chase down replacements.
I didn't realize that there are equipment out there designed to take out the surface noise like the SAE and Burwin noise reduction units. I like the idea but wonder if they sacrifice sound quality? The ELP looks real good but costs too much for me. I am leaning towards transfering the records to CD and using a computer program to clean them up. I do clean my records with a VPI machine and this works great for the dirty records, but doesn't help the scratched ones.
I guess I was just looking for an easy inexpensive way to enjoy some of these records. Most of my collection is in decent enough shape, and I do listen to CD's too. I'll have to try that VTA adjuster for the Rega tonearm too. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Cal208, I would also recommend that you look into the cartridge loading. If the cartridge loading impedance is too high (47K for example- no cartridge I know of actually loads at that impedance although many say that in the specs) the cartridge will ring- causing accentuation of ticks and pops.

You might also look into a phono section that operates with zero feedback (and passive EQ) for the same reason.