Equilizer to reduce surface noise on bad records?

I know that high end shuns away from using equilizers, but I was wondering if anyone has used one to reduce surface noise and pops and clicks on records? I have some record albums that I enjoy but are not in the best shape, I thought that maybe an equilizer would help but do not want to buy one if it is not going to do anything. If it does work, which frequency band would I reduce? I would only use the equilizer on the bad records and switch it out on the good ones. I have a Rega Planer 2 turntable with a Benz ace cartridge.
cal208

Showing 1 response by cal208

From all the responses so far it seems that an equilizer is not a good idea so I think I will forget that. The records that I have that have surface noise are mostly from smaller and private labels so I doubt that there are any CD's for them, and I would rather not have to chase down replacements.
I didn't realize that there are equipment out there designed to take out the surface noise like the SAE and Burwin noise reduction units. I like the idea but wonder if they sacrifice sound quality? The ELP looks real good but costs too much for me. I am leaning towards transfering the records to CD and using a computer program to clean them up. I do clean my records with a VPI machine and this works great for the dirty records, but doesn't help the scratched ones.
I guess I was just looking for an easy inexpensive way to enjoy some of these records. Most of my collection is in decent enough shape, and I do listen to CD's too. I'll have to try that VTA adjuster for the Rega tonearm too. Thanks for all the suggestions!!