Can you imagine a world without vinyl?

Can you imagine a world without vinyl?
I have been into vinyl for 49 years - since the age of 8 & cannot imagine a world without vinyl.
I started out buying 45's & graduated to 33's (what is now considered LP's).
I have seen 8 tracks come & go, still have a kazillion cassettes, reel to reel & digital cassettes - have both the best redbook player & SACD players available, but must listen to my "LP's" at least 2 hours a day.
I play CD's about 6 hours a day as background music while I'm working, but must get off my butt every now & then & "just listen to real music".
I admit to being a vinyl junkie - wih 7 turntables, 11 cartridges & 8 arms along with 35K albums & 15K 45's.
For all you guys who ask - Is vinyl worth it - the answer is yes!
Just play any CD, cassette, or digital tape with the same version on vinyl & see/hear for yourself.
May take more time & energy (care) to play, but worth it's weight in gold.
Like Mikey says "Try it, you'll like it!"
I love it!
128x128paladin
A definite Yes, I can live without vinyl! BUT Playing vinyls (for me) is a big part of fun listening and ritual.
But to be fair I think digital formats are getting better and better in sound quality. No pops and clicks... not to get-up from your listening position every 20 mins. Not to mention buying new vinyls can be costly now a days. Let alone prices of analog gear are also on the rise...just my two cents.
Shadorne....The number of D/A states is fixed for a device of a given number of bits. The voltage step from one state to the next (quantization) depends on how the D/A is designed. That said, the numbers you quote are about right for D/As used in audio applications. And with 0.03 mv for a CD and 0.2 microvolt for a DVDA one would think that either would follow a line level analog waveform darned well. However, don't forget that gain follows the D/A, and by driving the input harder the gain following can be less, so that one bit AT THE SPEAKER is a smaller voltage.

I notice much greater improvement by this adjustment of gains than with ceramic outlet covers :-)
and by driving the input harder the gain following can be less, so that one bit AT THE SPEAKER is a smaller voltage.

I notice much greater improvement by this adjustment of gains than with ceramic outlet covers

I don't question that you hear an improvement....I am just disconcerted why a higher or lower gain in the preamplification stages should make such a difference. (Might some clipping somewhere be eliminated through your adjustements.... line level mismatches between studio and consumer levels perhaps?)
It would be harder to imagine a world without the Compact Disc than Vinyl....yeah vinyl sounds good but is difficult and expensive to get the performance and ease you get with even an average CD player. Also having Disc players in cars and portable stereos has made many more contributions to society the Vinyl, is Vinyl better?, I in some ways think yes and in many ways think no......let the debate roll on.
Perhaps "high-end" refers to the High, Harsh end of the musical spectrum which CDs are so efficient at? That grain which makes you want to turn the "music" down, after a whole CD of listening, and, reaching for the bottle (of Tylenol) to sooth the headache brought on by the digitized bits of daggers drilling into your little over abused (by marketing hype) heads?
Oh...
I'm sorry, just teasing.
But, do get up once in a while. You'll get a pressure sore if you don't get up off the couch.
Can you imagine a world with out the couch, too? And the Tylenol?