Can you imagine a world without vinyl?

Can you imagine a world without vinyl?
I have been into vinyl for 49 years - since the age of 8 & cannot imagine a world without vinyl.
I started out buying 45's & graduated to 33's (what is now considered LP's).
I have seen 8 tracks come & go, still have a kazillion cassettes, reel to reel & digital cassettes - have both the best redbook player & SACD players available, but must listen to my "LP's" at least 2 hours a day.
I play CD's about 6 hours a day as background music while I'm working, but must get off my butt every now & then & "just listen to real music".
I admit to being a vinyl junkie - wih 7 turntables, 11 cartridges & 8 arms along with 35K albums & 15K 45's.
For all you guys who ask - Is vinyl worth it - the answer is yes!
Just play any CD, cassette, or digital tape with the same version on vinyl & see/hear for yourself.
May take more time & energy (care) to play, but worth it's weight in gold.
Like Mikey says "Try it, you'll like it!"
I love it!
128x128paladin
Shadorne...How many bits you need depends on the size of the bits

I think you will find that the quantization levels in D to A and A to D converters are fixed.

16-bit A/D conversion has 2^16 discrete numbers, or 65,536 quantization levels in the full-scale...so it has a granularity of 0.000015 or 0.0015 % of full-scale (full scale is like +/-2.5 Volts peak to peak) or roughly a quantization of around 0.03 milli-volts.

Even if you get more lights on, the quantization interval does not change, as it is tied to the full scale capabilities of the chip.

Note that the Behringer is a 24 bit ADC/DAC so we are talking about 16,777,216 quantization levels or signal granularity of 0.2 micro-volts (again a quantization granularity that is independent of which lights are lit up on the box)

=> So relax and simply stay well away from clipping if you have a studio grade 24 bit converter, as it means you have heaps and heaps of "digital" headroom to play with the digital signals using digital filters. Playing around with digital signals/filters (such as boosting one recorded channel immensely) is a good resaon to have the vast dynamic range of 24 bits so studios obvioulsy want that....but in general this capability is overkill for home play back of music. (Thankfully 24 bit DACs are really cheap so many of us have them anyway, whether they are really needed or not.)
Apparently, even the cutting edge of compressed digital audio realizes the importance of vinyl. The new Urge music downloading site has based its grand opening ad campaign around posters that read: "For those who really value music" (or something like that). The backround picture on this poster is a vinyl LP spinning on a TT with a tonearm on it. These posters are all over the NY subway system. One of the many ironies of this ad is that much of the target consumer for a site like Urge has never seen a TT in the flesh. Although I think that is changing. Even among the non-audiophile world, turntables are becomming hip with young people.
Bondmanp: The change to vinyl and turntables "becoming hip with young people" already occurred a long time ago now, but it was because of hip hop, not anything related to audiophile sound matters.
A definite Yes, I can live without vinyl! BUT Playing vinyls (for me) is a big part of fun listening and ritual.
But to be fair I think digital formats are getting better and better in sound quality. No pops and clicks... not to get-up from your listening position every 20 mins. Not to mention buying new vinyls can be costly now a days. Let alone prices of analog gear are also on the rise...just my two cents.
Shadorne....The number of D/A states is fixed for a device of a given number of bits. The voltage step from one state to the next (quantization) depends on how the D/A is designed. That said, the numbers you quote are about right for D/As used in audio applications. And with 0.03 mv for a CD and 0.2 microvolt for a DVDA one would think that either would follow a line level analog waveform darned well. However, don't forget that gain follows the D/A, and by driving the input harder the gain following can be less, so that one bit AT THE SPEAKER is a smaller voltage.

I notice much greater improvement by this adjustment of gains than with ceramic outlet covers :-)