The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Sirspeedy,
You are correct in warning him that the magic could be lost with further experimentation/upgrades. After ONLY 24 years in this hobby, I have come to the conclusion that in the way audiophiles approach their system building, component synergy is not only paramount but also quiet elusive. I have listen to many high-priced systems that were not worth the price of the crates they were delivered in, while other more modest systems have had that magic that you speak of. I for one have abandoned the "audiophile" approach and have gone down a more scientific and knowledge driven path, in which I control the parameters either electronically or acoustically via processors as opposed to the endless component swapping and tone-control via cable selection. Getting back to the point, yes that window for that "magic" is quiet narrow and elusive; Sid sounds like he has the recipe and I would take your advice if I were him and not mess with it but (to use the cliche) just enjoy the music.
Sirspeedy,
You really are a lucky guy....
I would love to read more about Sids system.
Maybe you could start a new subject on this.

You mention above, room ,system and owners skill. I totally agree.
Over the years I have heard a couple of modest systems that had no right to sound so good!
I credit the room and the skill of the owner.

Keep up the good work.
Stilty,actually you seem to be pretty lucky too.I've seen your system thread!!
Best.
I believe by far the best speaker ever are the Sonus Faber Amati Homage...of course on my price range. I prefer not to discuss the extra premium models