What Turntable to Buy

I am going to buy a new tt and was wondering which one you would pick if you could have your choice between the Super Scoutmaster Signature or the VPI Aries 3 with the 10.5i arm. The Aries will come with either the SDS or the Outer Ring Clamp for the same price as the SSMS. Which one would you pick?
clarock
Dear Clarock: VPI with a better tonearm than the 10.5i.

Along with the Aries you could take a look to Acoustic Signature and Galibier TT alternatives: both are great sound designs.

Btw, which cartridge do you own or think to play on that TT?, the choose of a tonearm ( not for a TT ) is critical, that tonearm has to make a good match with the cartridge.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I can't help with the VPI choices, but Galibier is about to release the Serac, which will be more affordable than the Gavia or Stelvio. It shares a lot of the critical parts of Thom's more expensive designs and is probably worth looking into. I believe it will include an arm as well, though I think the actual model has yet to be determined. Anyways, just a thought:-).
Agree with Raul and Mab33.

Galibier Gavia - $2250
Very probably a step up from either VPI table due to the quieter motor and the superior platter-motor coupling from a non-elastic drive belt. This type of belt is a vital component in my experience, and no VPI motor is quiet enough to use one without transmitting vibration and cogging into the platter. Thom's motor is quiet by design, so he doesn't need to isolate it from the platter with multiple rubber belts and flywheels. His motor controller is properly designed to begin with, so he doesn't need to sell you an outboard one. Choose the right components and simple jobs (turning a platter at 33 1/3) can actually be achieved with simple designs.

Tonearm of your choice - $2-3K
A well chosen tonearm in that range will outplay a JMW, especially a JMW-9 (Signature or no). The choice of arms may be influenced by your choice of cartridges, as Raul said. Contenders in this range include the Moerch DP-6 (good) and Schroeder Model Two (better). I expect people could suggest others too.

Regards,
Doug

P.S. I don't own any of the components recommended above so I'm not grinding my own axe. Just trying to help you get the best music for your money.