How much fine tuning required on cartridge loading

I am getting more seriously into analog, and will be buying a new phono pre-amp to replace the Harman Kardon receiver I'm currently using as a phono stage. Some (like the EAR) have a simple MM/MC switch, others (like the Rhea) allow for fine adjustment of resistive and capacitive loading. I'm wondering how much better the sound can get if the loading is fine tuned, or if MM/MC is good enough. Cartridge is currently a hi-output MC (attracts a screwdriver to the body, can play loudly thru MM stage w/ pre turned up), I believe an old Benz - black body with a gold V on the front, with what looks like a figure 8 knot above it.
honest1
@ Willster,

Please do share your findings with us.
I've just figured out the right loading with 'el cheapo' resistors for my Denon DL103 and am looking for some quality ones.
Vishay is on the shortlist.

Thanks and good luck.
To those experimenting with different resistor types, we tried seven or eight on our BentAudio Mu stepups.

In our system, to our ears, Vishays and all other film resistors had one audible flaw. Because of their high surface area:volume ratio, very high frequencies were largely uncontrolled. Even went we took resistor values low enough to audibly attenuate middle highs and upper mids, true high frequency response remained excessive.

We preferred carbon resistors, like Kiwame's, for their even and balanced effect at all frequencies. YMMV of course.
Thanks Dougdeacon,

Some further investigation on the net confirms your findings with the Kiwame's although other - more expensive - brands like Riken Ohm, A. Bradley and Caddock are mentioned as contenders too.
I guess it's, as allways, a matter of taste.

Lots of experimenting is lying ahead.

Thanks again.
Snake64,

My apologies! I meant to recommend the Riken Ohms.

We used the cheaper Kiwame's to hone in on optimal values, then bought Rikens (and others) to hone in on resistor type/brand.

The Rikens were definitely the ultimate winners, for us. Sorry for the mis-info, shouldn't have posted from memory about a year-ago experiment.

Doug