Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Thanks for the welcome Michael/Oregon, and thanks for the kind words Michael/Mikeyc8.

Hi M167607: my opinion here is not set in stone, but is a combination of experience (the Grados in particular seem happier on '250s, a friend uses this combo to stunning results) and seemingly near-universal consensus that the '250 is the superior tonearm. With MCs anyway, and with both rewired and with identical metal end-stubs/counterweights (RB-300), I always found the RB-250 relatively grainy and bright/harsh. With smoother/slower MMs (like the Grados), this would be counted a plus in many systems, leading to a better balance, which I think partly explains the adoration of the '250s. A complicated situation. The two tonearms differ as well in the vertical bearings, which are very different one from the other (and yet another reason the ‘250 is considered superior); as well as the spring-being-audible thing (I know all the arguments, but trust my ears), which can be addressed by simply applying some grease to kill any ringing, if one is really worried (but a fair comparison does reveal the ‘300’s greater smoothness/refinement, so what exactly is being heard apart from neurosis?), and preserve the extra flexibility the dynamic downforce offers. One has to remember that the whole ‘250-is-superior thing started with Origin Live, which established itself as a business by exactly this claim, offering upgrades to the ‘250 (just as the current slate craze for plinths started in Wales, a world exporter for slate, with no comparisons done against other stones) which became very popular.

With MCs however, and also as the systems go up in terms of resolution and high-frequency extension, the picture changes and I find the RB-300 quite a bit more refined, and especially so as the MCs go up in quality. It also works extremely well with the Shure V15s, and likely certain other MMs. Anyway, it's probably more complicated than this, but I'll stand by the general sonic differences between the two arms, one being more aggressive ('250) and the other smoother and more refined ('300). Of course, as the MCs get better, especially in high-resolution, extended-highs systems, the RB-300 increasingly takes the lead.

After hearing Michael's system, which excels in imaging, soundstage, and easy differentiation of instruments as I could definitely hear, I decided to re-insert my own EL-84 based amp, my rebuilt Leak Stereo 20. I’d already mounted my Oracle Thalia/Benz Ebony H (which I ended up with due to a series of accidents) to the Rega with excellent results, bearing out the superb quality of this currently maligned tonearm, as is fashionable today to do, people forgetting that once upon a time the Rega RB-300 was the new Enfant Terrible of the tonearm world, being a victim in the public mind of its own success.

I am a media analyst by trade, a researcher who is paid to analyze how the reporting of facts and rhetoric are used to influence people’s thinking, and the results. So please indulge me as I find these developments fascinating, as I did the rise of the Belt and the “blacklisting” of the Idler.

Many believe the Rega followed the SME V, being a cheaper copy. The reverse is true, as everyone knew back in the ‘80s: the RB-300 came out first, in 1983, to great acclaim. It won an engineering award for its extra-long casting. SME followed in 1984 with its prototype SME V (the finished product came out later), as SME themselves admit, showing a greatness of spirit seemingly utterly lacking today: “The new SME arm aims to solve a major headache in one bold stroke, one already partially addressed by Roy Gandy in his Rega RB300.” I often read, when I very infrequently cruise the forums to see what’s being said, about the very poor construction of the Regas. Excuse me, but what the Hell are they talking about?? Its one-piece cast armtube is evidently superb. Its bearings, horizontal and vertical, have no detectable play: anyone who has handled several tonearms can feel its evident superb quality. Are they talking about the plastic arm-lift/antiskating platform? Most tonearms have these made of plastic. And the Rega is cheap. It was the Roksan/Rega combination which knocked the then-reigning King of Turntables, the Linn LP12/Ittok pairing off its throne, as reported in the world hi-fi press at the time, none other. It was as a result of the Roksan/Rega pairing that the door was opened for varying designs, and brought high end American record players into the mainstream of hi-fi (the honourable ARs aside), by leading to the proliferation of design, since the Roksan broke the three-spring suspension rule, allowing the acceptance of alternatives (which many still resist, considering a three-spring record player to be still the only acceptable option).

People often have to go after the Big Gun, not out of a desire for the “truth”, but simply because they are so motivated. This leads to unfortunate results, as knocking the Regas out of various forms of ignorance and misplaced aggression only promotes the Audio as Status agenda, making the ultra-expensive tonearms more secure in their assumed superiority (based on their price tags). I started the Lenco/Idler change as a way of combatting the Audio as Status sickness (I was laughing as I wrote out the title of the first thread, “Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot”, knowing I’d be tweaking the noses of these types), but this is far from over, as it infects even idler fans (who go after such unobtainium as EMTs and automatically assume superiority, and ditto DDs, the rarer and more expensive, the more the assumed the superiority…the price tag is the product to these types, and this further contaminates the search for facts/truth). New exclusivity clubs arise, and Rega-knocking by ignorant budget audiophiles, relying also on Origin Live marketing, unwittingly supports and nurtures this agenda.

Anyway, all that investigated and aside, installing the Thalia was like adding a subwoofer to the system after the Dyna Karat Ruby, but it lacked the absolute speed of the Ruby, as most, if not all MCs do. So I hooked up the Leak hoping to balance this out, and the result is music, glorious music: smooth, fast clear, lush, rhythmic, gorgeous. I suspect the longer I am away from the Karat, the less I “remember” its great speed. For now, I’m satisfied with the Lenco/Rega/Thalia, but will likely try the Karat again at some future point. Though ultra-fast and detailed/organized, the Karat is tonally/atmospherically threadbare as compared with the glorious richness of the Thalia/Ebony, not to mention the matter of the bass. Two presentations, both of them enjoyable (since both excel at PRaT and gestalt/togetherness).

Anyway, have fun with your various projects/plans all, take what you read with a few tons of salt, do your own research, exercise that rarely-mentioned and fading thing called "critical thinking" (and by this I mean **thinking** based on knowledge/research, not blindly attacking for the helluvit) think for yourselves, and trust your ears!! 'Scuse me for this return to the past, Ranting Into the Void, it just happened, Vive la Lenco, Vive la Idler Wheel!!
"I am a media analyst by trade, a researcher who is paid to analyze how the reporting of facts and rhetoric are used to influence people’s thinking, and the results."

That makes sense. In perusing this thread when arises again and again I can see the inherant self promotion. I can see how it has caught the attraction of some out of mere marketing savvy vs deep content.

Or rather remarketing common ideas as breakthrough notions your own.

It is a job well done.

I am going to regale the audience here with a choice bit of wisdom, from one of the world's greatest writers, Khalil Gibran: "It is easier to write upon the water, than to teach a fool anything."

We'll let that stand alone up there, apart were it can be savoured. Which, translated further, but at a lower level (meant more for insects and such-like) would mean "Don't waste time with fools." So, henceforth, I give notice I won't even bother to read posts from this source, the Fool Pool, life is too short and I have better things to do, this is a waste of my - and everybody's - time. If, in one chance in 100 billion, the posts have any value at all (but I think I am safe in assuming "NO"), then I profusely apologize. If, on the other hand, such posts reveal the smallness and meanness of certain characters, then this is the only wise way to deal with it. Like stepping in excrement, then stuck on one's shoes, it may not be my fault, but I'll take the smell of it into the next room I walk into. 'Nuff said.

In my last and most recent voyage, I had brought a laptop with me, on which was downloaded years of research in science and history I accumulated through roughly 15 years of travel around the world. Various people I met around the world over this period had dreams of a man traveling with a typewriter, and then met me along the road. It was on this extremely lengthy travel-adventure that I discovered, in Helsinki (I met a beauty in the Greek islands, who agreed to meet me in Cairo, and I in turn agreed to follow her to Helsinki), the existence of the idler-wheel principle, and failing in my search for a Garrard 301 or 401 (before the days of the internet) found instead the Lenco. Upon my eventual return to Canada years later, I fell back into media analysis which, thanks to the internet was now done from home, with e-mail attachments. I had resisted the internet to this point (and still resist the cellphone), but had no choice. While on-line and bored, I discovered Audiogon (I feel for them) and started to make trouble - but ** constructive** trouble - via certain threads I initiated, debates I joined in on and, of course, the Home Despot thread/Lenco/Idler movement. Simply clicking on the links under my monicker confirms this, for those who think rather than excrete noxious airs. The time I will continue to devote to record players is limited, I am working once again on the book, which thanks to fortuitous meetings and findings, is once again on-track.

I'm currently playing with an Antique Sound Lab AQ2006DT full-function all-tube preamp, being a great fan of the ASL sound (full of PRaT, slam and excitement) and it is a sweeeeetttt honey of a preamp. Makes me want to buy matching ASL amps. I love the budget ethos, I love the sound (Joseph and I see ear to ear on what music reproduction should sound like). For now I have it matched to the Leak, but it is soooo sweet I will also match it to the ultra-fast Mitsubishi dual-mono SS amp and see what happens. Can't stop fooling around. In the meantime, I have to re-tube my CJ PV-8.

Anyway, remember the fun all, and watch what you step in.
About the hype of the slate plinth, could we say it realy is superior to a massive selected hardwood for a TD 124 or Garrard 301 or is it just...hype ?
A while back in my travels I discovered the conrad-johnson PV10BL line preamp. There have been many posts on the matter but I have concluded thoroughly that RCA Command Blackpaltes doing 12AU7 duty are unsurpassed. A nice old school hazy schmoozy sound. A little fuzzy and compressed in comparison to other world class preamps, I must say, but when I makes a discovery I sticks with it.

Upon my eventual return to Jersey I discovered the Hagerman Clarinet Line Preamp. As an expert on these things I must say that it surpasses the c-j handily in air, extension, and detail.

But to stay with the PV well then I will provide a small service to you. There may be a little oscialltion that may make your tubes seem noisy. Not sure if this fault stretches back to the 8 but the 10 had it. See the following link for the fix: http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/PV10BL/PV10BL.html

Of course now you can say you discovered it. No need to thank me. My goodness Jean, hand me a napkin; I think I stepped in something.