Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Hey Al, et al,

Read the review of the Trans-fi Terminator on Enjoy the Music. The reviewer makes the point that it costs about the same as a souped up Rega but is in a higher league, sound-wise.

My newish system seems to be coming together all at once and with the Terminator, I got the most transparent sound out of this system so far. Also, the stuff about enhanced bass is no joke.

Mike
Thanks Mike,

I read the article, wow it sounds like a good choice, I also read the manual and even a clutz like me could set this up. I have to say that the arm on my Denon was very very easy to set up and I dont hear any of the issues or problem's that the reviewer mention's, but we are talking about a Lenco here....

Thanks again
Al
It sounds very good - not elegant - but then, we aint millionaires.

I havent had a lot of listening time and only used a Ortofon MM - but it sounds awesome. I have to try MC's including Satin and other MM's. I found the M15e Super to be a little "polite" after hearing a Stanton 888, which itself seemed to have a somewhat overblown treble. Pics - tonite.

Mike
a few quick questions from an intermittent thread lurker/lenco user:

i just found a lenco in a local thrift. kinda cool btw, a L75 in an empire-style wooden plinth with wooden/plexi dustcover lid. anyway, i took it home to discover it is a 110-220 50Hz model. my first impulse was to think it was not for the u.s. market due to 50Hz. further thought and study makes me suspect otherwise, as the set points for 33.3 and 45 are different from my 60Hz model. it would appear that the design parameters allow for this difference. it that correct? (also with a "duh! i found it in the u.s. after all....") i can't yet check for accurate speed as the bearing is sluggish and needs refurbishing. also the idler is plastic btw, but appears true with good rubber.

next question: is the original arm decent for regular, non-audiophile use, or is it a throwaway? i've seen some comments that allude to rubber blocks of some sort that warrant replacing, but honestly don't have time to pore over the whole thread (and other sites) right now. the table may be earmarked for a girlfriend.

last question (for now): has anyone successfully adapted a jelco/audioquest arm to the existing armhole? it would appear to be a natural fit, with perhaps slight enlargement of the hole and mounting of the arm collet from below.

thanks in advance!
Hi Musicdoc-

You should really hit lenco-lovers.com for extensive answers to all your questions.