Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
I went from using a Denon 103 on a Lenco to a humble Ortofon VMS 20 moving iron type and I found that I did not really lose anything over the Denon.The Denon actually seems overly analytical by comparison as the Ortofon seems to grasp the gist of the music and on some records blows the Denon away.I am greatly enamoured of the moving-iron type of cartridge at the moment and am thinking of trying one of the Grado's.
Hi Stephanl,

I can vouche for the entire Prestige Grado line short the Woody Platinum (which I haven't had the pleasure of trying). Even the lowly Grado Black is one powerfully lush and musical cartridge. Best bang for the buck - hands down.

However, my love affair with Grado has pressed me to MuMetal my Lenco platter because of induction generated EMF hum. This inadequate shielding was a conscious decision on Joe Grado's part when he chose not to copy Shure's cart grounding along the ground signal path because of "coloration". He was right, in my opinion, but some TT motors do produce a noticeable hum because of it, the venerable Lenco being one of them. Just so you know... (if you don't already).

While you're back checking in, I wanted to ask you a question regarding the innate anti-skate of the Rega 300 tonearm. You were the first person to draw this to my attention, which I confirmed by removing the magnet. Do you suppose this phenomenon is caused by the offset bearing placements?

Thanks,
Mario
Hi guys,
My little contribution to the Low Output MC topic: I have started using a DL-103 on my L59 with great pleasure but the upgrade virus bit me... so I went for the 103R and it was a real improvement in terms of listening pleasure (I don't even want to enter into precision, tracking ability, etc, terms: PURE PLEASURE!!!) then, I had the opportunity to purchase a 103D and this was once more more joy and happiness!!!Then I purchased an humble Denon AU300-LC step up...That was it!!! I am a happy guy with a simple set up and enjoy the music.
Happy Lenco to all !!!
Regarding the RB 300 and anti-skate I have found that it usually requires very little in most cases.I align by ear, and the tracking weight dial on the Rega arm is brilliant for finding that sweet-spot,which of course varies every time you have a record playing session.Now there has to be some adjustment to the anti-skate required when your weight is right.It seems to confirm the less than 30% theory postulated by experiment in the late 60's in some way.When you hear it just come in is a very low position on the slider and about always right.I confirmed this by adjusting anti-skate once when I was recording the RIIA signal only and hearing the change quite clearly.I think the bearings on either side of the Rega arm are the same as each other,the RB 250 drifts out as well.I would find out from someone who upgrades the Rega bearings i.e Origin Live.Mark Baker knows all about the Rega arm.