Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Yes, Jean its a threat to me! How do you cope when a $47 thrift store rig is more musically enjoyable than your all out assault audiophile system? The speakers are Dynaco A-35's bought by my older brother sometime in the early seventies. I my possesion for about 15 years. Can you believe that Dynaco speakers are going for ~$500 on ebay?!!

Given, my super system can do some fantastic things but the speakers are just not there - final mods this week. Even perfected, it will be a completely different gestalt.

Presently considering a 4 arm Lenco :)

Mike
Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. It seems that I have a European model Lenco 75 that I've been working with. The motor has these red jumper wires. Is there anything I can do to make this motor compatible with US mains or am I out of luck? It seems to work when I plug it in, but am I causing any kind of damage? Apologies for my electronics ignorance.
Switching the voltage can be done, but you will have trouble reaching 33.3 because the tapered shaft that the idler wheel runs on is a different taper for 60hz vs 50hz. See the motor threads and the old "Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot" thread at the Lenco lovers forum.

Mike
Hi Everybody, especially Jean - I'm back and have just picked up a new baby, well not so new it was born in 1957. Take a look at it here.
Hi Malcolm, welcome back!! I'll toast to you tonight, several times, hic ;-)! I've actually been looking for one of those, congratulations it looks a Fabulous Beast, I predict it'll Crush many belt-drives! Looks like the British version of a Rek-o-Kut, and I mean that as a compliment (built like a tank).

Hi Mike, yep, again and again I am steered towards vintage classics, the 1966 Sony having defeated many pretenders old and new, and ALL my speakers are vintage. In fact, I just picked up a pair of Klipsch Heresy MKIs and I am astounded by these, I'm in love (AGAIN). I need an Intervention. I bought the Heresy's with an eye towards trying a triode amp some day, and these are very sensitive. But I wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of DETAIL these retrieve and communicate, which in addition to the SPEED and DYNAMICS micro and macro, which I did expect, adds up to one incredible ride! I was also not prepared for the almost total absence of horn colourations, which I did expect (glad to be proved wrong), just the eensiest amount of upper midrange/lower treble glare, less intrusive than many modern two-way speakers in fact ;-). I have them mounted on stands like normal bookshelf speakers, which might explain the very tight bass I am getting (against the general opinion), sounds like down to 50 Hz or so (helps to have Giant Idlers :-)). PERFECT apartment speakers. Perfect Idler speakers too, as they TRULY capture all the acrobatic and intense dynamics and speed and razor-sharp transients which are particular Idler strengths (it's ALL strengths, but these stand out). Keep us up to date on your Fisher system adventures please!!