Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
No, I still use neoprene to bridge that gap (when necessary), but it is not an active killer of vibrations (including musical vibrations) like Dynamat or Sorbothane, or sand and lead shot (lead sheet is better, as it is relatively solid and inert and I may experiment further with this material, while lead shot is too active), and the Lenco loves it (as it does its own original rubber mat). Let's put it this way: in the absence of Direct Coupling and the glass mod, Dynamat is far more effective at damping out vibration/noise and improving the overall sound than rubber sheet, which has little effect. But, once Direct Coupling is done, then Dynamat and such-like materials/active vibration killers are no longer necessary, and become a liability, sapping both dynamics and detail and other types of information, and it is better to go for the glass mod and relying more on the plinth itself.

This week I will be getting down to brass tacks and finalizing both my Lenco and my Garrard for more impressions of their differences, if any. What with differing platter metals, platter mats, and so on, all conclusions must be taken with a grain of salt and accepted as ball-park sort of general impressions. So far, all I can say is that in terms of actual information retrieval/raw detail, they are on an even footing.

The Curse is partially lifted and my little Sony Powerhouse amp is working fine again, so my Christmas system consists of the Sony TAE-5450 preamp (while my ARC is in the shop being refreshed with new caps), Sony 3130F amp (Mario would have LOVED this one!), and ESS AMT4 speakers, which are still the overall reigning champs - along with the AR2ax's! Have fun all!
Was there not talk before of some kind of, uh, latex material being used in place of the spring that attaches to the idler wheel? I'm going to try it anyways and see if I can get it to work. I thought I remember reading this in the old thread.
Hi Plinko,

You're correct. Many of us use rubber/latex infused waist band cloth in place of the spring. Can be purchased at most sewing supply sections in department stores.

Stops another resonant transmission path. Also, tension setting (where you tie the knot onto the post) is infinately variable.

More from me soon. Currently weighed down with massive redistribution of consumer goods.

- Mario
What about using lead/sand or lead shot in equipment rack shelves? Don't we want to stop vibration getting to the plinth so it can work most effectively?
Hi Wolf, lead or sand in the stand is fine I think, the idea being, I believe anyway (and I speak from experience), the further away from the cartridge the better (if you REALLY want to kill the sound, try putting Sorbothane between the cartridge and the headshell). Of course, here as elsewhere some fine-tuning might be required, striking a balance between too much lead and not enough. Of course, it's easy to go crazy trying to optimize, the Middle Path is always good, but considering there are ways of silencing the Lenco which don't involve active damping materials, then this is the way to go. But assuming the Lenco is bolted to a heavy plinth, a lead-filled stand might be ideal, use your ears to fine-tune. Myself, I mount my Lencos and Garrards on solid marble/acrylic platforms, themselves resting on Tiptoes, and those mounted on glass and metal shelves. Lead this far away from the source, and considering the undamped platforms (except some ubiquitous neoprene rubber), would likely be an excellent idea!