Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Having actually seen Jean’s luscious Garrard 301, I have to stand by the original assessment that it is, in fact, “stunning” - no overstatement about it.

Our afternoon of listening at Jean’s digs, however, was taken up exclusively with Mr. Red which was quite a treat for me. (While Grant aka gjwAudio1 was there too, these impressions are solely mine and he should weigh in with his own take.)

Well, first the journalist in me was so much reduced by the subjective enjoyment of the session that I failed to objectively keep track of what combo was playing what – i.e. the Morch/Decca or the AS-R1/Denon DL-103“E”. But no matter – as this wasn’t a track by track comparison session to dig out the nuanced differences between the two (on which Jean has already reported) – but an audition where both armed combos were given free range to come “on song” by utilizing the Mr. Red based Lenco as a foundation and springboard.

My initial impression (and this will have to be for both arm combos as I was at a loss to discern the difference) was that this was a level of detail that defied the analog sourcing that I was listening to. This was a “digging out” that went beyond crisp/full frequency response and marched right into the field of quick paced timing and rhythm.
Non-analog descriptors came to mind like “attack & decay” – “tight envelopes” and digital “pace”. It was truly a listening experience that would have had many searching for a hidden SACD player. But if one listened carefully, the absence of truncation and clip allowed for a bloom that could only be analog.

For dessert, our amenable host outfitted the golden Morch Unipivot with the Grado Platinum woody. This produced a lush warmth that I was much more familiar with. Detail wasn’t lost, but was simply upstaged by the richness of what one might call a glorious “music hall” sound. The Grado promptly staked out its own turf in a field that would encompass all large ensemble recordings.

For me, there really wasn’t any issue of supercedence between the cartridge/arm combos. Each claimed its own laurel as an analog retriever. Before this session, my audition exposure to “detailed” retrievers was invariably linked to a “clinical” experience. Jean’s set-ups have changed all that. I love my Grados and someday soon, I’ll go Platinum. But I was so enthralled in what I heard from the D&D twins that I’m glad my Lenco plinth can host two arms.

We also were able to apply and test MuMetal on Grant’s Lenco platter in Jean’s system. This, I would call a qualified success. Success, in that it clearly provided a barrier to EMF induced hum on the Decca. Qualified, in that there was some slight hum in the first ¼” to ½” of play arc. This may have been attributed to:
1) That I had previously hammered out some slight ridging in this area. (Hammering, I would later learn, breaks down Mu shielding properties.)
2) The Canadian winter conspired to hamper a glue set-up temperature for an optimal meld to the platter.
3) Jean’s system was able to pick up a diminished “wrap-around” of EMF that I wasn’t able to pick up on my home system.

In the end, this was a wonderful and an all-around educational experience for me: Plumbing the depths of how this seemingly primordial means of recorded music can be retrieved in a magical way into something so full blown. I know there is a scientific explanation for each step along this analog trail – but somehow I can’t shake the notion that wizardry is somehow involved.

-Mario
It was remiss of me to neglect the comments of my wife, JoAnn, who had a chance to listen to Jean’s Mr. Red for about 15 minutes. She has asked me to post this in addendum:
“Everything was so clear. Each instrument stood both separately and in harmony - like a chord where each note can be distinguished. It was a wonderful sound.”
JoAnn, I should add, has become quite adept at spinning vinyl on both my manual Lencos as well as threading up tapes. She rarely plays a CD if there is an analog alternative and acknowledges the “Living Presence” has grown on her. When I prodded recently whether she might be another HoltyHelen in the making, she demurred. “You build it and I will listen.”
Jean, I notice that in the latest pics of your dynamic duo the acrylic part of your footer system seems to be missing(?) Is this a new development?

Also, I have begun to look around for thin marble slabs like the ones you use. What are they and where are they sourced?

Nice report Mario. But inquiring minds want to know why you didnt tie Jean up, stash him in the closet and listen to the 301?

Mike

Hi Mike,

We actually considered what you suggested. However, there were no closets in Jean's realm - only open architecture. Our only options for restraints were 24 ga solid core and duct tape.

- Mario
Ha, I KNEW there were advantages to the new abode!! Thanks for the kind words Mario (AND JoAnn), it was a pleasure to host both you and your wonderful wife, you're welcome to come back anytime, and we'll explore the Caves of the Unknown!

There are only so many hours in a day, so the Garrard had to remain mute for the listening session. And more I would have liked to demonstrate: the unrecognized (except by the fortunate few) Greatness of the AR2ax's (this demonstration included the Pierre Amp matched to the ESS AMT4's), which when paired with the little (but incredibly POTENT) Sony TAE-3130F amplifier (ca. 1966) produces the Kundalini Effect.

Which brings me to speed stability, my constant subject with respect to reproducing music. The ONLY advantage digital media have over analogue sources is speed stability. Since the CD, DVD and SACD players don't have to deal with mechanical drag/brakes, only light/lasers, there is no braking effect and consequently these have a speed stability (piano especially) transient speed and clarity which attracts many audiophiles. This - reaction to the braking effect of the stylus in the groove which causes speed instabilities - is the Achilles Heel of belt-drives, and a fatal one. Properly set-up idler-wheel drives wipe out this digital advantage, so one reaps the benefits of vinyl - higher resolution AND analogue "flow"/naturalness - and wipes out speed instablities, which brings out the missing transient speed and slam, AND brings with it all the information digital loses: air, resonance, decay, PRaT, gestalt and natural musicality, not to mention the actual superior DYNAMICS and BASS (both reach and detail).

Next week I plan to finally finish the Garrard project (which includes the finish), pick out a tonearm/cartridge combo and have it sit there as a semi-permanent addition to my then-three-tonearm/cartridge system (until I have the new design ready, which will have two, perhaps three tonearm boards, more easily done with the Garrard "motor unit" construction).

Which brings me to the platform question Mike: those photos were of early days when the new set-up was not yet finalized. I have since mounted both 'tables on similar platforms, in the case of the Lenco on marble/acrylic, and in the case of the Garrard marble/corian. The easiest source of marble slabs are kitchen supply stores (marble cutting boards) and kitchen cabinet contructors. I would think granite would be as effective, which you could get done at any stone cutters business. As soon as I have finalized the Lenco and Garrard set-ups I will refresh the photos with new pics. I know that one of the tonearm/cartridge combos will be my Heavy-Metal Decca International paired up with the Grado Platinum, which combo is Supernaturally Musical and potent. Vive la Idler-Wheel!!