Setting anti-skate

What is your procedure for setting anti-skate?

Thanks
rmaurin
My procedure was to buy a linear tracking arm that doesn't have any skating force :-)

However, if you have a pivoting arm I think that the best results are obtained using a test LP that has a highly modulated section designed for testing tracking. Find the antiskating setting that allows the minimum vertical force without mistracking.

Actually, exact setting of the antiskating force is not all that critical. We got along without any for many years. The optimum value varies over the area of the disc, and with modulation of the groove. The penalty for not having the right setting is the need for a slightly higher vertical force.
Here are some other ideas I have heard about. For arms that have replaceable headshells, you could devote one to an Orsonic Skating Force Guage, if you could still find one. Another idea is to use a record that has no grooves at all on one side, such as the 3-sided Keith Jarrett album, and check skating at various points across the record, choosing the best compromise. But I think that the easiest method is just look at the stylus at the moment it touches the record, and adjust anti-skating for minimum stylus deflection.
I'm more than quite sure that using a record without grooves is not the correct way to set antiskate and don't care what company or test record that suggests this. Why? because it is against the law of physics. A stylus travels in a groove and not on a flat surface. The stylus is traveling in between a groove touching the inner and outer walls of that groove. One side of the groove is rt channel and the other is the left channel. Setting on a record without grooves wiil not give a true and accurate measure of antiskate. "Think about it". I tend more to agree that our ears is the best way to set antiskate. Regards.
Thank you for the replies.

I agree that using a record without grooves is not the way to set anti-skate.

I did look at the stylus as it came down on the record. I cannot see it being deflected. I do have the anti-skate force set to miniumum on my arm. Basis Vector MK3. I do remember being able to see it being deflected to the right relative to the cartridge with my VPI JMW.

I have the HiFi News record. With minimum anti-skate, the cartridge, Helikon, goes through the frst 3 tracks with no buzzing. It does buzz in the right channel slightly during the last track with the highest modulation.

On some old records, I do hear some breakup in the left channel. This is an old Riverside with sax. As the sound swells, you can hear the distortion. I increased anti-skate, and the distortion in the left channel seemed to stay the same, but the center image became a little cloudy. Setting anti-skate back to minimum restored the focus. I think the distortion is due to the the record being damaged or still dirty after cleaning. I bought the record used.

Other then a distinct distortion in just one channel, is there anything else to listen for?

Anyone use the Wally Skater device?

Rich