"High end" cartridge use on VPI SCOUT??

I listed a post earlier about what cartridge would be best used on a VPI SCOUT...I got to thinking...my preamp is a MCINTOSH MX-117 (vintage 1980) and my amp is a MCINTOSH MC-2205 (vintage 1978)....does the phono stage in the older gear justify or merit a "high end" cartridge like a BENZ MIRCO GLIDER, SUMUKO BLACKBIRD or a DYNAVECTOR 10x5??? Will I get my monies worth??? Your thoughts.
dean_fuller
I am using a 10x5 which replaced a more expensive Clearaudio Virtuosos Wood, and it sounds fantastic while tracking better than the Clearaudio as well. I would not consider a sub $400 cartridge to be "high end" on a $1600 table, and the Scout in particular punches way above its weight. If your phono stage doesn't sound great, you can find some excellent ones in the $400-600 range, I am using a Graham Slee Era Gold V and it is superb.
Heard this table with the jmw9 arm + Shelter 501 Mk2 and GSP Era Gold V + Elevator Step up! Its a very good combo!!!!
Dean_Fuller,

That is a good question. It is important not to overspend on one component compared to the value/performance level of related components. IME this is especially true of cartridges. A "too good" cartridge can easily expose the shortcomings of a table, arm or phono stage.

I'm not familiar with your MX-117 but I agree with Sbrtoy. None of the cartridges you listed is particularly "high end". Unless the Mac's phono stage is unexpectedly bad you would probably get your money's worth from any of them.

The 3 you mentioned are reasonably priced, solid performers, each with certain stengths, weaknesses and sonic characteristics. The Benz will be smooth, full-bodied and perhaps a bit relaxed or polite. The Dyna will be more dynamic, have a bit more top end extension and be a bit more forward or energetic. I haven't heard the Blackbird. Many people like it but I've also read several reports of inner groove tracking problems. I know two people who switched from Blackbirds to ZYX models and were very happy, though at higher price points than this.
don't worry about your mac phono stage unless you got off the deepend on a low output mc, which in all honesty is not a good idea. any name brand high output mc or mm will be fine. the mac phono stage old or new is one of the finest.