Cleaning old record collection.. advise please

Hi folks,

Been wanting to get back into listening to my albulms for some time. I have 1200+ that have been in storage for 20 years or so. Most of the record jackets were protected with a plastic sleeve. At one point in time, some were subjected to some mildew and mold. I don't think it really got to the vinal as much as it did to the covers.
The covers were all wiped down and have been stored properly since. The few records that had some mildew on them, can they be salvaged? The bulk of the collection should be fine.
What would you all suggest???
tod914

I had good luck with my collection that was stored in a concrete floor basement. Moisture wicked up into many of them, and mildew grew on the covers and some of the vinyl.

Patiently cleaning them with Record Research Deep Cleaner and then RR Vinyl wash, several times depending how bad they were, restored them to almost new. I think with some TLC, you should be fine.

Goog luck.
If you could use a vacuum record cleaning machine and one or more of the better liquid record cleaners such as The Disc Doctor's Miracle record cleaner (my personal favorite). If you don't have access to a machine, manual cleaning would be next best. Do some searching thru AudiogoN and you will find many, many past threads on record cleaning, enough to fill a book I would dare say. I have contributed to several.
Cheers!
With mildew I'd be inclined to use a two stage process. I'd start off with a manual wash using the Knosti Disco Antistat washer (available www.audiophilecandy.com and other places £45). I'd use a solution of 35-40% isopropyl alcohol (not for shellac records though), with rest purified water and a few drops of wetting agent (Ilford for instance) per liter. The Disco antistat has a good scrubbing action, which is what you want. Pass the mildewed record through the brushes several times. Then vacuum on a convential vacuum machine, and repeat the process but don't use the Disco Antistat - instead use your favourite cleaner -- Disc Doctor, Art du Son, whatever. Change solution in Antistat every few mildewed records. If you don't have a vacuum washer, then use the Antistat twice, but change liquids between washes. The result will not be as good, but may be acceptable.
Disk Doctor will get rid of the mold, from my experience.

I would do them by hand.

If you plan on cleaning all 1200, definitely get a machine.
visually inspect for signs of mildew, and get youself some discwasher and cloth. until you begin to play them, its hard to tell....i've been collecting vinyl since i was 8 and a cleaning machine hasn't done any better than washing by hand. take care of your records and your records will take care of you.