Seeking Opinions on Clearaudio and VPI Turntables

Just want to ask opinions on these two tables in the $2,000 to $3000 range the sonic differences assuming the both tables use the same cart.

For VPI, its either the Scout or the Aries 3 vs the Clearaudio Champion Level 1 or Level 2 (stretch).

Arm would be the JMW vs the Unify or Emotion arm.

Based on my short research, vpi character is dark vs the more lively detailed sounding clearaudio.

Anyhow, some comments from users would be highly appreciated.
128x128mid40sguy
Common dealership opinion seems to favor VPI

I've had some conversations with the SoCal dealers who seem to be the big vinyl guys (Brooks Berdan in Monrovia and Audio Revelation in Carlsbad). Both carry VPI and Clearaudio. Both recommend VPI tables enthusiastically (especially Berdan), but both seem to limit Clearaudio endorsement to the cartridges. I've never gotten a specific reason from either, but have heard reservations expressed -by others - about the Clearaudio bearing design, which (I'm told) puts the contact point at the top of the bearing shaft near the platter. FWIW

I'd add that Acoustic Image -a dealer in the San Fernando Valley with its own vinyl following - does like the Clearaudio tables, while LA Audio in LA and Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica focus on neither brand.
Thanks for your input. I live in Florida and I can't find a dealer here who sells either the VPI or Clearaudio lines. Should I buy a unit strictly from pictures/specifications, etc., on the Internet or what?

Len
Len,
Where in Florida are you? Brian at St. Cecilia Sound Gallery (Clearwater) carries VPI. He should be able to help you.
I purchased a clearaudio based on the recommendations of a dealer whose knowledge and recommendations I couldn't trust more. He carries both VPI and Clearaudio and prefers clearaudio, which also has an upgrade path. I have not heard the VPI in a direct comparison but I am very satisfied with the sonics, fit, finish, and quality of the clearaudio. Also FWIW, there is another clearaudio arm between the unify and emotion, the satisfy.
Thanks so much. Have you heard anything about the new Marantz TT-151 table made by Clearaudio? It sells for $1.6K-$1.8K depending on the dealer. Clearaudio uses an $800 cartridge on the unit, which I'm told (I haven't seen the deck here in Fla.) that it is essentially the Emotion model with different feet. Any additional thoughts? I started with the Rega P3 and now I have jumped somewhat in price with the Emotion, etc.

Thanks again.

Len