Helikon LOADING

Hi, I am really confused as to what is the right loading for this cartridge. The info that came with cartridge recommends 100 ohms to 47 K ohms. The inernal resistance is 5.5 ohms. This is quite a big range to decipher the 'correct' loading or 'equalization'(my analogy)and also tough to find the right phono that matches with unknown loading. I am auditioning few phonos at present and want to slect the right combination.

Also I want to have phono that is future proof, that is if I explore in multiple different cartridges, the phono amp is/will be compatible with these Carts. I read form past threads that general guideline is 25 times its internal impedance. How hard and fast this rule is?

So what is YOUR HELIKON LOADING? and how did you decide this value?

thx,

Nil
nilthepill
Loading affects the frequency balance -- LESS loading (higher value like 1k or 47k) means a more prominent peak in the treble response, but, it also means that the peak and fall off after the peak occurs at a higher frequency. Therefor, it is hard to say which setting has an objectively flatter response.

I tend to like the cartridge running more wide open and extended on top (47k for my Lyra Titan). But, I do somewhat compensate for the tendency of this setting to be a bit sibilant by having the vertical tracking angle set low (cartridge very slightly "tail down"). I tend to treat VTA and loading as complementary, so both have to be fiddled with to find the best combination. Both factors affect tonal balance, as well as other performance characteristics.
Larryi, negative SRA will compensate for the HF tilt at higher loading values, but it won't really restore the bass balance, only roll off the highs a bit. Also you pay a price in record wear because the sharp edges of the backward-tilting (micro-ridge type) stylus are scraping across the tops of the forward-slanting groove undulations, instead of locking into them, as they will at a nominal SRA of 1.5 degrees.

Check out this thread for a very interesting discussion on the subject (complete with photos and illustrations ;-)

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1140840022&openmine&Nsgarch&4&5&st0
My VTA adjustment is quite subtle. The arm, at the pivot, is .3mm down from dead parallel. That little difference can be heard.