Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
I would absolutely love to audition one of Bob's phantoms (R-U listening, Bob?). I have TWO armboards DRILLED and READY !

In the past, I've never fully warmed up to the 2.2, but have always held its design as well as that of the Robin in the highest regard. That the Robin (with an upgrade arm cable) is a good 95% of the 2.2 is a stunning feat at its price point.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Bob Graham,

I'm just up the road in New Hampshire. I'd gladly carry a Phantom to Denver for you if you could not make the trip. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

I have to say that Thomas has me thinking of moving from my 2.2 to the Phantom. After looking through the features of the Phantom I can see why many are so impressed with it.
Dan I agree with you assertion on the Phantom. For me, a man with 10 thumbs, the ease of a Phantom (or Tri-Planer) entices me. However, there is something so mysterious about Franks arm as well. I have to see how I can clear up some work, family matters, and other things that always hang over my head!! Yeah, what an experience this would be!!

Rick (RWD)
What a wonderful hobby we have!!! Yesterday, I spent 4 hours with 3 friends (two of which I just met in person) indulging ourselves in wonderful music, fantastic sounds and equipment, and spirted discussions about this great hobby of ours.
I wanted to post this comment on this thread for a few reasons. First because I feel we have established a nice group here with not only a common goal, but also a we have found the ability to share our comments in a constructive, educational and common grammar. Andrew started it off with his question.....which arm is better? Wow....look where it took of to...!!! Now there is (at least one) a group (hopefully me as well) willing to travel to Colorado to search for that higher absolute sound. The quest for a new turntable and arm leads us to other things as well. Yesterday , my time with the "great" Sirspeedy (great, great person and wonderful sense of articulating his impressions of sounds), Ed ( who did a good amount of serious listening (not much talking) and the GREAT Sid (who is not a member of our group here, but a wonderful person) who, indeed has one of the BEST systems I have ever heard!
My mission was to see his new turntable and arm. What I accomplished was what I said at the e beginning of this post.......we have a wonderful hobby which includes some wonderful, kind and passionate people.
Sid's new TT and arm were quite impressive......I had to re-think what I need to do. I am, in earnest, in search of upgrading my TT and arm and I have been considering a Teres or Galibier with a Schroder (probably a Reference) or Tri-Planer or Graham Phantom. So I listened yesterday and walked away a better man. Yes, my search will continue and I will be leaning towards you here for guidance and assistance. Dan will be going to hear all of the products I mentioned I was quite interested in, in Colorado in May. I believe Andrew will also be part of this mission. I hope to join them. However, I know that this is what will be the results: I will have a new TT and a new arm; I will have deepened my friendship with those around me; and, I will continue to discover new music and enjoy the pleases it gives me.

Sorry guy's and gal's if rambled...it was a "wonderful day".
Rick,

You're right, this is a great group of folks and hobby. I think the important thing is that in this leauge of equipment it all sounds pretty good. But then again, we're all a little fanatical and in pusuit of the "best" or "better".

I hope you make it to Colo. That should be real interesting and I'm looking forward to meet the guys and exchange views on things.

Can you tell us a little about the equipment you heard?