Teres, Galibier and Redpoint

After a lot of research deciding whether I should upgrade the motor on my Avid Volvare or my cartridge I have now decided that upgrading my transport is the way to go. I don't have to worry about motor compatability problems and I can always upgrade my cartridge at a later date. Being that I nearly always prefer pursueing the small company, and that the unsuspended route seems right, the three shops above have really caught my interest.

The Teres 320 or 340, Galibier Gavia and Redpoint Model A all cost about the same. But the same problem arises, I don't have an opportunity to hear and compare them and unless it's on my system, it doesn't really matter. I in no way mean to insult Chris, Thom or Peter, but what seperates these three tables in term of sonics? I say this only because they are contributors to this forum. Anyone have any opinions?

My arm is a Tri-Planar VII. Phonostage a Thor. Art Audio SET amps. Systrum rack. Thanks for your input. Richard
richardmr
It may have been the glow combined with the soundtrack from close encounters of the 3rd kind.
How did you get all the mud out of the living room anyway?
I hate it when people hijack threads.
Back to turntable comparisons
Dan_ed: Congratulations on your decision. I purchased one of Thom's tables in 2004.

You should know that the temporary "abode" the table was shipped in, was absolutely bullet proof. So much so, that I kept the crate and discarded the turntable. Well maybe not quite...{grin}. Seriously, I consider my Galibier Quattro an heirloom and like his equipment and support, Thom's packaging in 2004 went above and beyond; and given his constant efforts of improving everything he does, his temporary turntable "temples" are probably (if that's possbile) even more robust today!

After the Quattro order, I fondly recall update e-mails from Thom regarding the status of its fabrication.

The excitement mentioned in the above posts bought back mine, especially after just mulling over some of the communications in '04 with Thom. Rather than explain, I will copy the following excerpts (hopefully Thom doesn't mind their publication):

To Thom:
Sharing your "learning" experiences is welcomed. Knowing of the development and birth of my Turntable, makes it a more personal and rewarding experience. Do I get to go in to the delivery room, or are pre-birthing classes required?

While it's an understatement to say that I'm excitedly looking forward to seeing, and getting my hands on the finished product, those feelings are tempered with the knowledge that it's important that you're taking the time and care to make sure the "infant" has all its fingers and toes, and meets your rigorous requirements. Moreover, all "great" things are indeed worth the wait, aren't they?

From Thom:
Funny you should mention the delivery room. I got together with a few folks on Saturday evening. One of them will be getting a Quattro from the same "litter" as yours. I decided to bring one of the platter carriers (the
aluminum part of the platter) along to wet his whistle. He was bonding with it all night, and then suddenly blurted out "put your hand on it, I think I
felt it kick" ;-)

Dan_ed, I’m sure you will enjoy your new Galibier Gavia as much as I’ve enjoyed my Quattro. If after your table receipt, and if you were so inclined, posting your observations (on the 'gon, or in this thread) would be welcomed....Cheers, Mike
I concur with sirspeedy, this thread has been very enlightening. Seems the folks on the analog forums are far more civilized and helpful than participants in digital.

I have the TriPlanar VII/UNI combo on a Micro Seiki RX5000 and am quite happy. The UNI is still breaking in and our good friend Doug D has been a great mentor.

Dan: your welcome to stop by at anytime (I'm just over the border in MA.)if hearing the arm/cart combo is of any help.

Thom: The high end needs more people like you. It's so refreshing to see a person in the biz that sincerely supports the hobbyist. You are to be congratulated.

Bob
HaHa! Bob, we have met in the past! I bet I can still drive right to your door. We are very close indeed and we should get together for some listening sessions. Do you still have your Basis? I have progressed more into the music you enjoy so I'm sure we could enjoy some jazz together.
When I read about the meltdown at Doug's I couldn't help but image some poor schmuck audio dude who caught just a glimpse of nirvana right before the Three Mile Island melt down. Morbid, yeah, but funny in a whacked sort of way.