Trying to get back into Lps, I seem to be throwing

I would appreciate some advice on what I can do to improve my record listening pleasure. I have rescently purchased the Project perspective turntable and have installed the Sumiko blackbird MC cartridge as well. So far I am very disappointed in the sound quality from top to bottom. At this point I seem to be throwing money right down the tubes. My equiptment consists of a McIntosh C37 preamp with the standard MM output and 2 McIntosh 7200 amps with Aerial 9 speakers. I also have an ESound E5 cd player which has been upgraded by Joseph Chow (early 70s Kenwwood fame).
powers55
Excellent responses so far.

More than most components, cartridges do need some hours on them to play their best. Performance usually changes as the suspension loosens up. This in turn may require adjustments to your setup. Everything in vinyl playback is very interactive.

As Rushton said, can you describe more specifically what's wrong with the sound quality? Compare it to your CDP if that will help you describe it. We won't bite.
Perhaps your expectations regarding vinyl are too high. "Disappointment" is exactly what I try to forestall by my comments to which some guys take great offence. (Hi Albert :-))Its good points are not the same as digital, and take a lot more money and effort to realize. Good luck.
Use a MM cartridge or get a MC pre-pre stage. Check cartridge installation - stylus pressure, azimuth, overhang etc.
Some of the comments written so far are useful, Eldartford on the other hand remains who he is!

The biggest issue with analog sounding good is a matter of set up.

Great gear will not sound great if it's not set up right. Set up is not terribly difficult, but it is time consuming. There are a number of places to find good information about set up. One of the best basic primers is Laura Deerborn's book "Good Sound."

Don't give up on what is a superior medium without giving it time to break in and be properly set up.
First of all thanks to everyone who has responded to my distress call. Actually I'm a vinyl junkie from the late 60s thru most of the 70s. That's when you could go to practically any stereo shop and pick up a very rewarding system for not near the prices of today. Rushton your answers are spot on especially the alignment of the cartridge. I have aligned several cartridges in the past and I am very confident that the Blackbird is aligned properly via alignment and balance tools. The Burn in time on the cartridge is approximetly 20 Lps. The sound quality of the Lps seems to have not near the bass I enjoy with cds, the upper end seems to be a little thin and bright for my taste as well. A friend of mine suggests getting a better phono preamp but I am hesitant in doing so for fear of getting the wrong one, there are so many phono preamps to choose from. Also I was wondering why I have to crank the volume knob much more when I play Lps compared to when I play cds?