"oldskool" tonearms

Hi folks, why do many audiophiles who own analog set ups love "oldskool" tonearms, like the SME 3010 or 3012, the Micro Seiki 282, Audiocraft, Toho, Koshin, AR and Hadcock? Are these tonearms better than most of the contemporary siblings? Do these audiophiles like them because of their (oldfashioned) sound? Or because the fact that they are very difficult to get nowardays?
dazzdax
Dear Doug: There are many subjects about the high quality of those " vintage " tonearms, one of them is that almost all were manufactured more than 20 years ago and are in perfect operational/performance conditions: bullet proof!!!!

Nice to see that you find this post: " a really valuable and informative ".

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
hELLO, I just wanted to Thank Raul also for educating the rest of us with his great knowledge of tonearms! I also have enjoyed reading these posts! Raul what do you think of the Magnepan Unitrac? is it worth setting up? as I have one that I am in the middle of mounting.Do you have any idea if it will sound any good with MC cartridges as I have several I would like to use? Also Raul do you have any experience with the Formula 4 arm? Does it have any merit? Any experience you want to share with me would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice with the Unitrac and it seems a little puzzling? I have a chance to buy a Formula 4 but the guy wants $425.us and I dont know if its worth it? Thanks Daren
Dear Daren: Both tonearms are a good ones and both work better with low-medium weight/medium-high compliance cartridges.

That price is on the high side: 250-300 dls will be a good deal and fair.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
More to discover