VPI table, cart and phonostage? - Novice.

I am strongly considering getting back into vinyl. I've got 200+ lps in boxes, many relatively new.

My current digital setup is Bel Canto PL-1 Universal player, Krell HTS 7.1 prteamp, Bel Canto 6 channel amp, B & W N 805 speakers. I play mainly Classical and Jazz.

Houston has almost no high end TT dealers. The one store I went into had a Nottingham Spacedeck and I heard a 45 rpm Belafonte disc, and got the vinyl concept in my brain. Wow!

I probably will get a VPI, based mainly on reviews and reputation...also made in USA!

Scout or Scoutmaster? Is there that big a difference? Both are Stereophile Class B,I believe. Are there carts that are "wasted" by putting them on a scout, whereas on a scoutmaster you get that extra value you paid for? Basically, to what level of cart would you go on a scout or scoutmaster?

Should I get a aolid state or tube phono stage for these TTs? Any suggestions. I am somewhat open minded about budget, but I want to get components that are about in the same league. I mean, a $1.5K TT with a $5K cart and a $7K phono stage seems crazy, or does it?

Is the SDS worth getting for either of these?

Also, does anybody out there think I, a novice, can install a cart and set it up myself without an analog saavy compadre around? I've read the beginners guide to cart setup and its not rocket science, so I think I can.

Thanks for the input.
dolifant
I totally agree with Sberger that the Scoutmaster is much better, and even more so with the ring, which you can't use on the Scout.
As far as cartridges and phono amps go, you'll get a very wide and bewildering range of opinions. Best to narrow down exactly how much you want to spend. The Scoutmaster is certainly capable of revealing refined differences between them. Better to define what you want it to sound like, or match to your other components or room acoustics.
Myself, I'm using the Whest phono stage with a Shelter 501. I am happy with the combo, but also plan to upgrade to the new JMW 9 Signature arm when it becomes available soon. You might want to look into that too. It sounds like another killer upgrade from VPI.
For sure, though, you'll be happy with the table.
I am new to Vinyl as well and I am very happy that I settled on the Scoutmaster. Solidly built like a tank and quite revealing to my ears. The upgrade options are equally great.

I am using the Acoustech PH1P phono stage, a benz ace (m) and the SDS and it sounds great. Will be stepping up to the JMW 9 Signature arm as well with the ring clamps and weight, and the new motor/flywheel combo to get to the SuperScoutMaster sound.

I am also considering also a Shelter 901 or the Zyx Airy 3 cartridge to mate with the signature arm to complete the package. Will need to seek comments from fellow audiogoners if these carts will mate well with the JMW 9 arm tho.

Whatever you decide on, its good to have flexibility and upgrade options within the family rather than starting all over when you want to upgrade. The ScoutMaster offers that.

I am very happy with mine .
If you can't go for the Spacedeck go for the Horizon SE and Ace-Space arm. The low torque motor on the Nottingham is superior to the VPI motor. Dynavector carts work well with Notts as well as VPIs, I have heard that the Dynavector phono preamp works well with the carts. I have not heard them myself though.
Dolifant,

I jumped back into vinyl about eighteen months ago. I too had a modest lp collection. I bought a VPI Black Knight and fitted it with a Lyra Helikon cartridge. My phono stage was built in to my Spectron model 10 pre. I loved the performance of the Balck Knight/Helikon combo. The cartrige installation wasn't that difficult with the directions and hardware supplied by VPI. You'll need a stylus pressure guage to get the pressure right. I considered the SDS unit but never got around to buying one. After years and years with out a turntable. I thought jumping back would be very pleasurable. It was for the short term. There was no comparison in sound over cd. Vinyl just has that sweet,sweet sound! After about a year of intense labor of cleaning lps, changes lps, ect. I sold the complete unit but retained my collection of lps. I bought an Audio Aero Capitole MKII. This is really close to vinyl but not dead on. I'm happier as far as the labor load goes...............Good luck and enjoy!