Ready to try vinyl

I would like to buy a turntable just to see what all the fuss is about. Since I remember the pops and scratches all too well, I do not want to spend alot just to satisfy my curiosity. I want a turntable that is capable of giving me a "taste" of what the vinyl sound is all about without going overboard. I can always upgrade if I like what I hear. I would also like to avoid deciding against vinyl because the turntable was not capable of capturing at least the basics. What turntables should I be looking at and how much should I spend? I would prefer to buy used due to the experimental nature of this adventure. Current gear is Sunfire processor with phono input, a pair of Classe M 701's, and B&W 800N. I am relying on your responses since I don't know squat. Thanks for your help.
baffled
First off, it's good to rely on others responses (actually...ignore everyone elses except mine...j/k) and to read reviews of the products they recommend, but if you're willing to take the plunge into vinyl then you should do yourself the favor of at least buying a few good quality records in good condition (doesn't have to be 180 gram vinyl but it doesn't hurt) and auditioning some tables yourself. Take advantage of places like audioadvisor.com that offer 30 refunds, that way you can get an idea of different tables in different price classes. I have a music hall MMF-7 which I love (you can get these used, but the price is still about 700, which you can find for new decks if you're enterprising) but will sell at some point to get a VPI Aries 2 (or Scoutmaster...recommendations anyone?). How much you should spend depends on how much you like listening to music, and how much money you're willing to fork over, which really only you can answer. I think the MMF-7 is a good bet because it's good enough that you can put off upgrading immediately, but still leaves room for you to throw your money away on other expensive tables later, which is really what it's all about, right? Actually, even if you're not thinking of becomming an addict, then this is a very satisfying turntable with great sound, and nice looks to boot. I'm sure other (and more knowledgable) members have different recs.

have fun.
Oops, my amps are Classe M 700....not 701.....I suppose everyone knew that but me!
Mimberman......Thanks for your advise. I did not know there were different kinds of vinyl (180 gram??). I do have about 100 old records that were given to me. I have never heard them. Probably not good to play on a new turntable. So, my next question....where do you buy vinyl records these days? I feel the beginnings of a new addiction rumbling from within. All of you enablers should be ashamed of yourselves!
But.....um....keep that advise coming!