Calling all ZYX aficionados

Greetings
I am considering purchasing a ZYX Airy 3X. I do not know if my Atma-Sphere MP-3 will work with the low output Airy.
I am using a Koetsu Rosewood Sign., which is .6mV. I have used a Denon DL-103R which has .43mV with no problem. I have a pair of S&B TX-103 step up transformers installed in the MP-3, which gives me 26 db more again.
I am using a Teres 245, with a Teflon platter, and a Morch DP-6 arm.
Thank you for your comments
Bryan
bryanp
Sirspeedy: You have to look/find the tubes that have the less noise, less distortion, less colored, more accuracy/linear etc..: not the more " MUSICAL " .

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Thomasheisig - good point but think about it a bit... A quick "set-up during lunch" so to speak, will most likely produce inferior results - obviously. What it does provide is a starting point for the evaluation process and fine tuning to begin. With the fine tuning, everything can only get better (or worse) right?

My initial impressions of the ZYX were very, very positive - but was somewhat different than what's been written online about the ZYX cartridges. Furthermore, if the cartridge wasn't set up to its maximum potential in the brief lunch-hour session, then that to me is truly quite impressive & speaks volumes about the potential for the Universe cartridge when set up correctly. Wouldn't it? The cartridge sounded great and IMHO better than other cartridges which lived there previously & were set up correctly.

I had initially intended to buy an Allaerts MC2 Finish but couldn't stand to wait until August to get it. The Dynavector XV1s was my second choice but had to be special ordered (none in stock). My impatience is really what drove my decision to purchase a ZYX and hence, "test" the reviews regarding the ZYX products. The reviews are so good - I had to find out for myself.

During the first audition of the UNIverse, the system was Avid Acutus w/ SME V, Supratek Syrah, LAMM M1.1 amps, Dynaudio Consequence speakers. When I get the UNIverse home today, I will be using a Manley Steelhead for evaluation.
Raul,once you find the BEST low noise/low distortion tubes,you then HAVE musicality!!
Bwhite,I don't really mean to denigrate you for posting,as you're intentions were all good.You seem to know a thing or two,as well.As for Salvatore having a ZYX,I knew this,so what?I like his general suspicious nature,as you state,as well as his approach to the hobby.As for him recommending the ZYX line,I'm sure the line is really superb,but was just a bit sceptical,as to the ALWAYS over the top raves,over the apparent competition.

Cello-you still haven't mentioned what YOUR price for the cartridge was!!!!!!!!!!

As far as Salvatore (the NEW HP,IMO)goes,he is still not to be taken as the HOLY GRAIL,nobody should.Hobbyists have learned alot over the years,and the gap between the "Thinking and careful listening" hobbyists and the so called experts has really dwindled.

My only gripe with Salvatore,is that he kind of indicates that his set-up is very accurate,and accurate enough to pass judgement on some of the most sought after and highly rated discs out there,which he then rates very poorly.I generally have no problem with this,however,I have both the original and re-issue,or later pressings,of much of what he rates,and he is DEAD WRONG on many titles.EX: I own 2 copies of the Dutch pressing of THE PRINCE OF THE PAGODAS,as well as one copy of the earliest British pressing.Saslvatore claims,wrongly,that the later Dutch pressing is far superior.This is laughably incorrect!Maybe in his set-up,and with the voicing of his system,but in my circle of friends,some of his disc comments are really where his achilles heel is exposed.Believe me,some of the guys I know ARE right in this matter,as it is THEY who literally wrote the original reviews,on these discs,and we have already compared titles.

Basically,all I'm saying is that there is NO one best of anything,except my 2 kids,and a good "Ring Ding Junior"!Especially in the incredibly competitive arena of phono cartridges,where the audio envelope is still being pushed,regularly, even as compared to the best in digital.I do have a nice digital set-up(for new music),but the magic is still in analog,IMO,IMO,IMO!!The next time you hear a supposedly SOTA SACD etc. system with mind blowing equip,and music,as I did at HE 2005,in the ISO-MIKE demo,using TAD-Model 1 speakers EMM/4 channel,just go home and play a good DIRECT DISC(even if the music sucks).That will level the playing field immediately.
Sirspeedy,
It’s always a thrill to hear to hear from you.
I suspect that you might be in for a surprise when you finally get to hear a ZYX UNIverse for yourself. Do be inquisitive and questioning, but try to temper your skepticism just a wee bit.
I realize that my and a few others positive reactions towards the UNIverse may seem a bit over zealous. The support for this cartridge really comes from the wonderful things this cartridge does for one’s system. I have yet to hear of anyone hearing the cartridge reacting with anything but whole hearted enthusiasm to the improvements it brings to the music.
I have listened to and compared the UNIverse to several excellent cartridges in my own system and found it to be significantly better than all but one, which I feel it rivaled.
I am not sure what the value in my sharing what I paid for the cartridge might be other than you think I might be some type of shill for ZYX or the importer. I can assure you that I paid for the cartridge and have no vested interest in the cartridge other than hoping for others to improve the sound of their system and also see a great product do well.
Bryan White is an extremely decent guy who has spent a lot of time on Audiogon trying to help people improve their systems. I think all he has done is overflowed a bit with some enthusiasm for a new product that he just bought. What possible harm is there in him sharing that a quickly mounted, non-adjusted and non-broken in cartridge fresh out of the box sounded great ? Read some of Bryan's posts when you have time and I think you will find that he is quite experienced / knowledgeable and extremely generous with his time in trying help others improve their systems.
I am not trying to state or imply that the UNIverse is perfect or the best. What I do think is that it is the best value in a cartridge and possibly the best currently produced cartridge.
I am open minded and won’t miss an opportunity to hear other cartridges in my system. When and if I find a currently produced cartridge that makes my system sound better, I will be trying to share that with others so they can benefit as well.
Rgds,
Larry