ELP laser turntable - any comments?

I tried searching for info on the ELP laser tt here and was surprised to find nothing. i'd love to hear comments from true vinyl lovers: how does this compare to other rigs you've heard?
if you're curious, the website is www.audioturntable.com
kublakhan
TBG, As old as this thread is, it's nice to know that someone saw my post. It's also nice to know that someone has experienced a good demonstration of the ELP. All too often, the ELP has not been demonstrated to its best advantage.

If a person can afford it, the absolute best of both worlds is achieved when you have a high quality turntable like the
Shindo Labs and an ELP. So many of my older LPs that exhibit some degree of record wear actually do sound better on a standard turntable. I attribute this to some slight degree of forgiveness by a standard arm/cartridge combo, though other factors that I am about to mention are likely to be involved as well. I've not found any rhyme or reason as to why some LPs that I used to think were great don't sound so great on the LT, and yet others that I never thought much of on my standard turntable are astonishingly good on the LT. A new record of a well recorded performance will sound great on either playback format, but the ELP, with its greater channel separation and typically more linear response really shines on a top notch piece of program material on a reasonably neutral system.

I've speculated that the reason the ELP doesn't sound quite as dynamic or as alive as most moving coil cartridge/arm combinations relates to what I remember seeing years ago in test reports showing the performance of moving coil cartridges (mcc). In looking at the oscilloscope output of a good mcc reproducing square waves, I consistently observed a rapid rise time on the leading edge of the square wave accompanied by a rather significant overshoot before settling back to the amplitude of the top of the square wave. The reproduction of the top of the wave would exhibit constant ringing. The return to the baseline was also marked by an negative overshoot. Compare that to the square wave reproduction of a Grado Signature. The Grado not only exhibits no overshoot, but actually slightly rounds the corner from the vertical rise to the horizontal top. Further, it exhibits virtually no ringing at the top of the wave and very little if any overshoot as it falls back to the base line.

Now, anyone who has been around this game for a long time can readily describe the differences in the sonic character between most any moving coil and a Grado moving iron. The "coils" always sounded more dynamic, more lively, more defined, and airier on top (in no small measure due to the rising high frequency characteristic that many exhibited). OTOH, the Grados sounded somewhat rounded, full bodied, smoother, and very musical. It's been a number of years since anyone has published any test result of square wave reproduction from a moving coil cartridge, so I can't say to what extent these anomalies have been ameliorated, but I can say that the sound of mcc's today relative to the sound of the ELP is reminiscent of that old comparison between the Grados and various mccs. The biggest difference is that the ELP, sonically, doesn't exhibit the weakness of rounding or dulling the leading edge of the square wave as the Grado did.

If you can afford both, by all means get an ELP. Truly, the longer you listen to one, the more you will grow to appreciate its virtues, both sonically and operationally. Short of being financially capable of buying the very best in conventional turntable/arm/cartridge systems, I don't believe that I would ever go back.
Theloveman, what you suggest is what I would hope to do. This would cause me several problems, however, mainly space and isolation support for the ELP.

Having know Joe Grado and having asked him why he held the patient on the moving coil but did not make them, I can assure you that the ringing on the leading edge is exactly why he did not do moving coils.

Thanks again for your informative posts.

Norm
Norm, I can appreciate the space problem, but don't put too much energy into the need for isolation support for the ELP. One of the principal advantages of the Laser table over a standard table is that it is virtually immune to feedback. I purchased my laser table because I moved to a new home where I ended up with an upstairs listening room. The floor is sort of a flexi-flyer, so my VPI would go into contortions when I would walk across the room, and bass frequencies were problematic as well. Rather than go to all the trouble to do a wall or ceiling mount, I tried the LT. It has proven immune to footfall, and as near as I can tell, to acoustic feedback as well.

BTW, I had forgotten that Joe Grado held the patent on the moving coil, and I am quite certain that your assertion as to why he never endorsed them or manufactured them is right on. Thanks for reminding me.
Theloveman - we're still all here and reading. you've been so throrough there's not much left to say. thanks for the review and all the info. there's a ton of good stuff in this thread. it's a great archive.
What can we say? There are many positive and negative comments about the laser turntable in the industry. Most negative ones are from those that have not heard it or refuse to "hear" it when they are listening to it. As a dealer we have compared it to many conventional turntables and many other formats including master tape . There is no comparison out there unless you are spending upwards of $20-$60,000.00. You must hear the laser turntable for yourself and make your own judgement. If you can afford it we welcome anyone to send us a deposit . We will then ship them one to demo for 2 weeks and let them decide what is and what should never be. Once you hear it in your system you will never want to let it go. Believe it!
don't believe all the other crap you read on the internet. I use my LT daily and am enthralled at every record I feed it even after 2 years! amazing!