About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Barb, I have attempted several times to post since reading of Pats death. Everytime I began to write seemed so shallow and empty. I really didn't know what to say.

I never met Pat, never spoke to Pat and never exchanged emails with Pat. But I do remember when I first asked a question on here about my lowly Technics turntable, Pat was one of the few to respond. He didn't tell me to get rid of that peice of junk, he told me things that might improve it to where it would bring me more enjoyment.

I have followed this thread from it's start and have shed many tears, both from sadness and from joy. Like many people, I gravitated to Lugnuts posts. He had what I wanted. An attraction rather than promotion thing. It wasn't his stereo or records that I wanted. It was much more than that. I wanted his compassion, kindness, honesty and caring and helpfulness to others. He let us see deep into his soul, which I find very difficult to do with those I know, let alone strangers on a website. In this world of corruption, cheating, self grandeur, Pat was a truly remarkable person.

I know I will miss him.

Thank you for continuing to share Pat with us. I will have my lowly Technics turntable tweaked to Lugnut specifications loaded with Neil Young Sunday afternoon in his honor. May he rest in peace.

Gracie is a beautiful name for the dog!! I love it.

Steve
Barb, I'm glad to hear you decided on Gracie. A tribute to the past, as well as a reminder of the grace Pat has experienced.

I will be spinning Praire Wind this afternoon along with Amused to Death. At first blush it seems inappropriate, but Roger Waters deals with some very complex themes, including, tragic loss, and that many people have trivialized their own lives as well as human life in general.

Pat on the other hand understood the importance of this life, as preparation for the next.

Pat, we're not tailgating, we're drafting! Thanks for leading the way. Barb, you are no less in my prayers today than you were last week.
Got home last night from 5 days in Sanibel. Come into a cold house at 11pm and do you know what the very first thing I do? Boot up my computer, skip my 43 emails and go directly to Audiogon to check on Lugnut, who was in my prayers as I ran along the Gulf coast. enjoy the music Pat. see you soon. peace and love to you and your family. Rest gently.....love, warren
Barb,
Let your memories be as sweet as the pictures you've posted!
Let them only comfort you and if you feel lonely, you can always use a keyboard to talk to us here.