About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Not depressing, this is life and you are our portal to reality. Thanks for being you Pat
I'm really glad to hear about you getting that fluid out! That must have incredibly increased your comfort level. While I understand that you are probably never very comfortable, any improvement is good!

I hope you plan to review the show for us tomorrow.

Pat, I'll Shanghi your thread for a few minutes since you asked me to report my findings with the Starsound rack.

FedEx delivered it yesterday. True to form, one of the boxes was broken open and the top shelf was damaged on the front edge, where it will be seen everytime someone looks at it! It is certainly a two man (or one woman) job. I realized after I went past them that two of the shelves are upside down. Having only three legs makes it much easier to put all the ICs and PCs into place.

The rack certainly isolates the sound. Images and sounds are smaller, and more detailed. At one point I was listening to a U2 LP where they do a song with 'Voices of Freedom' where there was a vocalist easily three feet outside the boundry of the speakers. I have listened to this track a lot of times and have never heard this happen before.

I am very happy with the results of putting the Starsound rack in place. People can argue whether or not this design is effective, but I have heard the results and it is well worth the cost. My results were similar to what you found when you added the Audiopoints!

Well, my brother, you remain, as always, in my prayers!

PS that was your phone!!!
Hi Pat and everyone:

I really hope that you fell good enough to enjoy the concert tonight. Looking forward to short review.

I must say I have to swallow a number of times reading your daily logs but I find something so special in them that I have to come back. I only wish, like everyone, that you were not paying such a price.

Re your comment above that "Honestly I think the guy [Albert Porter]would trade all his gear for a Wave radio and my returned health if he could." I think I can honestly say we'd all do that in a blink and go back to am radio too boot. I never had the chance to meet Albert but never mind the "hifi"...I have feeling he'd hack a limb off if it would help.

Here's hoping you get a good concert in this week-end.

I remain,
Clueless
Pat,

I find it odd that your nurse thought you should present the same symptoms as a pregnant woman. That's not quite how I remember you. Has something changed?

I know exactly what you mean about a healthcare professional mis-diagnosing because they don't know you and won't believe you. Nothing could me more frustrating, or more frightening.

Several years ago Paul went into hospital with severe and worsening abdominal pain. He told them it was his appendix. Having suffered a bout of appendicitis while travelling the year before he knew exactly what it felt like.

They refused to believe him. Why? Because his temperature, "wasn't high enough." We could not convince them that his normal temp is not 98.6. It's more like 97.0, so a temp of 99 for him is like 101.6 for most people. IOW he DID have a temperature, they just wouldn't believe us.

These textbook-bound idiots kept him under "observation" (ie, they ignored him) for three days with no pain relief. When they finally went in they found, ta-da!, a hugely swollen appendix.

They also locked him up in a very unpleasant isolation ward. Why? Because a slightly built gay man "must" have AIDS, right? Talk about diagnosing with their prejudices.

This was at Yale-New Haven Hospital, which pretends to be a world leading medical research and teaching facility. Hah! When my appendix flared up I got vastly superior care at our local hospital. They checked me in and took it out in less than 4 hours.

Glad to hear they finally got that fluid drained. I hope you're comfortable enough to enjoy the concert.

Enjoy the show and the weekend visit,
Doug
With a broken thumb in an elbow-length cast, I cannot type much. So in the interest of being concise, as well as to honor Pat's request for a concert review, here goes nuthin':

First, Pat did not feel up to going to the concert. He was (and is) simply too weak and tired. Therefore, Barb and I went to the concert with the neighbor. The concert was of the Boise Symphony Orchestra, playing at Northwest Nazarine University, which sits in a park-like setting of native trees approximately five minutes drive from Pat & Barb's home. Let me back up a minute.

Yesterday, despite Pat's lack of energy, he sat and listened to music with us for several hours. His first comment as he placed the first LP on the platter was, "Sorry I don't have a system that will wow you." He was right. It didn't wow me. But what it did do was pull me into the music completely, and ever deeper by the hour. Not only was this remarkable because of the low cost/high performance ratio of the system, but even more so because it is a solid state system. Please take no offense, it's just that by and large I happen to prefer an all-tube system. And yet, following several hours of listening to Pat & Barb's system, I found myself asking, "Now how much are those Linn amps?" Not a hint of fatigue, and nothing to wow you to the point of hearing only your internal commentary ABOUT the system, while forgetting about the tunes themselves. Nope, this system just plain gets you. In fact, not unlike the live music did this evening.

The middle piece, penned by a 33 year-old composer named Puts, was the highlight of the evening, particularly because of the soloist on the marimba. A diminuitive, Japanese beauty in a rose, crepe dress, sparkling jewelry adorning her wrists, neck, and ankles, she pranced back and forth, up and down the wood-slatted marimba in her high heels, playing rhythms with the dexterity of Robert Fripp, and passaggios with the sensitivity of Horowitz. In a word, she rocked! The other pieces were pleasant, played beautifully by an excellent symphony in a top-flight hall. But that gazelle on the marimba...man 'o man!

Now hours after the concert, as I tap away on the keys of Pat & Barb's computer, a lot of thoughts flood my mind. Pat hurts in the other room. I can hear it. I know he doesn't want me to see him this way. I don't know what to say. I can't keep my thoughts straight right now. I'm wondering if they'll ever come back in a predictable flow?

I've been reading this thread since day one, and now the end is near. I know Pat won't mind me coming out and saying that, because he has already accepted this for what it is, without the need for softening the experience via euphemism, metaphor, or cliche. It's death, folks, and Pat has made us witness to his in the most generous and selfless way imaginable.

Pat and I had a hearty conversation about God today. I won't even say that it was profound, because Pat's company itself is profound. Words somehow seem terribly insignificant, like tacking a sail on a boat whose direction is being driven by a force much more powerful than the wind. Pat might refer to this force as God. That I'm not sure. He spoke of being a believer for a long, long time. He suggested that he might wish for me to believe in God, yet he was unwilling to risk driving me away with the hard sell. I clarified that like other arenas in life over which I lack provenance, I don't believe in a God for me, not in my life. But whether he believes that he hears the most beautiful music coming from his chosen brand of interconnects, or the majestic voice of God in the presence of his life, then so do I.

When I was nine, I remember hearing our rabbi reading about the chosen people from our prayer book. I kept hearing that expression over and over in my mind...chosen people...chosen people...chosen people...and I could not help wondering that if we were the chosen people, then where did that leave everyone else? Shit outta luck? Were they really born with a sort of birth defect for having not come to earth as one of the chosen? I just couldn't stomach the thought, and in my young heart, it rang false. So, I suppose that was the day I became a bleeding heart. No, not in the cliched, socio-political sense of the word. More in the sense that if others hurt, I hurt. And Pat is hurting.

Pat said today that he hopes there is an afterlife. He has some favorite historical figures he'd like to meet there, and old friends that he'd like to see again. I'm guessing that if these folks are wandering around in some version of an afterlife, they're pining for
Pat's company even more than he is for their's. Because he's just that kind of a guy. Pat is a person who brings others together. He is a person who cherishes his wife on a parallel with air. Pat is a person who listens for the music in others. And for this reason alone, I love Pat. Pat is so much about giving love in the now that the prospect of meeting him in an afterlife almost seems like a letdown. Because all you have to do is read this thread, or spend five minutes with Pat, to know a slice of heaven right here on earth.

You people are humanity's finest. That's all I know for certain. As I have been with Pat over the past couple of days, it has become crystal clear to me that you all have helped Pat to extend his life. And you did so by moving beyond the wow factor that initiated this thread. You moved beyond it by embracing the music of humanity, represented by an open-hearted, vulnerable messenger, a beautiful man by the name of Patrick Malone. What else can I say? If you say there is a God, then I say it must be you.

Love to all,
Howard