About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Thanks Zakesman. Well guys, today was another day of chemo. I suspect this will be as uneventful as the others although I'm not feeling well at all. Barb and I both went to our audio club meeting and ate out prior. Whatever I had didn't agree with me and has carried over into today. Of course, it would help to have a normal stomach! Frankenbelly sometimes misbehaves. The Portland area has its own unique style of food preparation and I hope I can enjoy it fully later this week.

I asked the hard question of my doctor today. That being, "How long on average does the Taxol work?" I was a little bit rocked by his answer of a couple of months since todays treatment marked the two month use of it. Oh well. I'm scheduled for a CT scan next week while Paul is here so we'll see if I can just forgoe treatment until symptoms return. That would work for me. While I feel pretty darn good it is getting old being fatigued all of the time. Maybe without treatments I'll regain some of my vitality. Of course, without treatment the cancer will grow and it uses a lot of calories doing that. Fatigue is an issue for anyone with active malignancy. The doctor thinks there are other drugs we can use after the Taxol. Hmmm. My guess is that the other options might be brutal in comparison. No sense in worrying about it until the time comes.

Since I've committed to upgrading my cartridge I need to do this in a reasonable time. The acoustic treatments need to get done soon also. Steve and I are going to be working on a bi-fold door project at the entrance to the music room. We believe the benefits of doing this will allow the equipment and the room to work together as they should giving me the depth and layering I long for. It's good the way it is but since it can be better, why not?

The Benedryl and the steroids they give me to combat Taxol side effects makes me pretty ripped. Forgive me if this post isn't all that understandable. I have one drug pumping through my veins that wants to put me asleep and another that pumps me up. They are competing with each other and it makes my thoughts go on the dark side. I am concerned about the next drugs that'll be tried. I've got to do this because of two things. One, I must live until at least September. I had elected to double my life insurance when that option came available and it takes effect at the end of that month. Two, I've already done three different drugs now and see no reason to stop trying now. I jokingly mentioned during dinner that I was selecting music for some kind of service in rememberance of me. Barb was glad I was doing so but the look she cast upon me while the tears ran down her cheeks was hard to take. I'd take getting kicked around hard by the meds just to give her some more time to enjoy old Lugnut but the thought that a brutal dose of chemo might not allow me to be enjoyable hurts to contemplate. I know I'm worrying about stuff that hasn't happened. My question to myself is how do I balance the reality of feeling good for now with the necessity of dealing with the enevitable. I cannot allow myself to lose my character. Considering the possibilities of what comes next is a must for me. It's the only way I can keep my feet planted firmly on the ground. I hate it.

I'll be okay. As I said some of this dark stuff is the result of the drugs. Life IS good and today is meant to be enjoyed after I take a nap. Thanks for being there for me.
Hi Pat,
Just checking in. Here's hoping getting off of the Taxol is a good thing energy wise and that the next drug option is kind and helpful.
Thanks again for the openness of what you are going through. Reading this thread never fails to remind me to appreciate all that I have been blessed with and how fleeting it all can be.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I will give you a call in the next couple of days
Love,
Larry

Hi Patrick- Hope you feel better after the steroids and the anti-histamines stop fighting. While I have (thankfully) no personal experience, the steroids and anti-nausea cocktail they give my wife seems to be fighting it out with her anti-cancer drugs and makes her feel pretty $hitty for about 4-5 days; then 2-3 fair days, then a week feeling pretty good. I know she would have a hard time doing it w/o a pretty good light at the end of the tunnel. I admire your strength w/o the docs giving you much of a light. Of course, we all hope that they are wrong. I went to Doug and Paul's last night and heard their new Teres/Schroder/ZYX Uni set-up. I've never been a huge fan of B&W, but I was pretty blown away by what I heard. We listened to a 45 rpm of Louis Armstrong doing St James Infirmary which was the most amazing example of soundstage, imaging, and layering I have ever heard, on top of a heart-stopping performance. I also aquainted them with some of my bluegrass-country roots (Trio 1), which we all enjoyed as well. The Dvorzac (sp?) was very intense and the Bach Cantata soothing. Very humbling to hear what is to my way of thinking, a pretty maxed out analog rig. Big $ for sure, but not crazy $. Hope you get your analog well set-up soon.

Keep hanging in there, friend. All the best.
Pat,
Please keep sharing, we are here to listen. I just wish we could do something to help.

Jeff
Swampman,

I've been through the type of treatment your wife is getting an it's much more difficult to endure than what I'm doing. Besides, whether you believe it or not, your role is more difficult than hers on several levels. Bless you for being a good husband. If you ever falter DO NOT hesitate to contact me and I'll prop you back up. I sense that you are like my wife and I admire you for it. When I talk about the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm speaking about death. For your wife, it's cure. I need to remember the light even if I can't see it or else I'll be overwhelmed when it returns brighter than when it left. For your wife it is a goal for living, something to reach for. When I say that my chemo is pretty benign it's a true statement. I have few side effects. Stoned and tired today and tomorrow I'll be just like yesterday...okay.

St. James Infirmary is THE SONG I was talking about at dinner last night and Barb started to cry. It is the most wonderful music I've ever heard on every level. I've been meaning to order the 33 rpm version for myself by the same folks that did the 45 rpm set. I would trade a large pile of my best records for that one song if I had to make that choice. Amazing how one song moved me so much. IMNSHO, this is the best song ever recorded by anyone, ever. I must admit that I'm surprised Doug and Paul own it being classical lovers that they are. I'm also really glad you went over there too. They are great guys and I love them a lot. Doug has been a big help for many of my analog questions. Paul, bless his heart, wrote one of the most important emails I've ever received and I will be forever greatful to him for doing so. Hearts this big are a wonderful thing to experience.

As far as my analog is concerned I'm home free right now with the Yatra MK II. The opportunity to upgrade to an Airy 3 (I'm going silver wire) with the silver mounting plate is a no brainer. My only concern is getting the darn thing broke in so I can fully enjoy it. I wish I had the cash to burn so I could hire someone to play records 24/7 until it reaches the magic hundred hour mark. Wouldn't that be a fun job? This turntable, cartridge, tonearm stuff with all the setup and bits and pieces needed to make it happen right is like some weird brotherhood. We are together but we are separate also. What I have found is there is more than one way to skin a cat. If I were to offer any criticism of us as a group it would be that we possess a learned narrow minded-ness. My analog front end would be rejected out of hand by many as being unworthy until they actually listened to it. Sure, if it were gone I'd probably buy something else but mainly to gain a little more acceptance from the group as a whole rather than any real sonic leaps in performance. It's like trading in a Sportster for a Fat Boy. Of course, the Fat Boy is a real Harley as if the Sportster isn't. Yeah, right.

Jeff, you are doing something more important than you realize. You are here and take the effort to let me know. This should be a Mastercard commercial. Priceless.