About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Pat, if anyone can beat the odds, it's you.

I think she was 100% correct when she said that you have what it takes.
I must say that's the first time anything on Audiogon has made me cry. Pat you are a very lucky man, howver this may turn out. Best of luck with that orgasm.
Lugnut...Your last post proves once again that the world's most potent force is Love (that's right, it's not a SS-20 MIRV warhead!)

I remember vividly holding my mother's hand one last time 2 years ago. I'm still comforted by one thought: the love she instilled in me will last until my last breath...then the love I gave will live on through others. I firmly believe that.

When all is said and done, all there is is love. Everything else will fade. But not that love.

Many of us are thinking of you often- and yes, some even have you in their prayers. And most of us have never met you!

Maybe this world ain't so bad after all!
Hi Pat,
Well, I think about you every day and check this thread once or twice each day to see how you are doing or what friends have to say.
I am quite overwhelmed with your outlook and approach to life. I am quite impressed with the outpouring from so many here on Audiogon. I am quite pleased to have the good fortune to know you a bit and be around this great group of people on this site.
This thread has had me reach a good bit inside myself over the past few weeks and allowed me to more fully appreciate all that I have in my life. I suspect it has done the same for several more.
It has been very touching to hear what you value in life as you go through this tough stretch. I am quite grateful to you for sharing your feelings with us so openly.
Thanks for being you and giving a bit of yourself to all of us. My thoughts, hopes and best wishes are with you every day.
Warmest Regards,
Larry
I'm writing this with tears streaming down my cheeks in happiness. This thread and the one I just read about my wife and myself today has moved me like I've never been moved before. My thanks to everyone that has the courage to read and follow all of the heartfelt expressions conveyed here so touchingly. You posters and private emailers are positively fearless. That is what a person in my position needs and I'm saddened that this outpouring isn't happening to every person in similar circumstances. I've been richly rewarded. Not that I don't appreciate the gifts and other acts of generosity but the fearless way you are facing this with me and the support offered is what gives me a measure of what my life has been. I thank you all so much. I really feel like I'm a success in spite of all the mistakes I've made walking this path. My promise to you is to post as long as I am able and to be brutally honest in the hope that perhaps you take more from this experience than the experience takes from you. I love you all.

So, here's my news for today. I called a friend I haven't spoken with for some time due to another persons callous remarks. I wanted to make peace and it came easily for us both. We went out to play pool and I marveled at the juke box and it's ability to nail a rim shot as good as I've ever heard while playing eight ball. Life just doesn't get any better. The lesson here is don't let the stupid stuff get in the way with good folks. They are hard to find. A couple of quarters in a bar table is good therapy. There's always tight jeans walking by and it doesn't hurt to look. Take a break from your troubles and get simple for a few minutes and life is put into perspective. Make peace with yourself and with all that you love.

Tomorrow morning is round one of chemo and I don't expect any negative effects but even if I have one or two I know that I'll be fine and get up and do life as it should be done even if I do it a little slower or rest a little while I'm doing it. The good news is that I probably won't lose my hair for a month or two so I get to keep all of these ugly locks to irritate my friends a little longer. One of the audio club buddies nick named me fuzzy since that's about what it is on top.

I do have a favor to ask of someone that has the ability. I have a photo of Steve Dobbins (Vetterone), Paul Frumkin and myself just prior to surgery and before (as we fondly put it) the last supper. I'd like all of you guys to take a look at us and see just who you are talking to. You might want to bail from this thread!!!!! Har har har. Send me a private email and I'll forward the photo.

Best to all and a heartfelt thanks to the owners of this site for letting such a subject run its course. In the end this is a higher calling than anything audio. It's about every one of us.