Nakamichi 505 or the Dragon ?

Can someone tell me if I were to get either the Nakamichi 505 or the Dragon which one will out preform the other in overall sound quality. Or are these two pretty much equal in playback?
Dave
valleyplastic
I purchased a 581 when new and really loved the sound however, I replaced it in 2001 with a CR-7A that I bought off of Ebay. I chose the CR-7 because it was reported to make slightly better recordings that the Dragon with the added benefit of autocalibration. I must say that it is a great machine that easily surpasses the old 581. The CR-7 has a playback azimuth adjustment on the front panel and on the included remote control so, you can tweak from your listening chair.

The Dragon does have auto-reverse and all of the other great features mentioned but, remote control was an option.

BTW, I had my CR-7 tuned by Stephen Sank, in NM, who also installed the factory gear drive modification to the transport. A great resource for information on all the Nackamichi models is: http://www.naks.com/
The bx-300 was the first to depart from the older transport design in an effort to lower manufacturung cost. It is still made to operate the same way and with the same specs, but it uses different parts, and is also sort of a transitional transport to the later cr series. The whole bx series seem to suffer from idler wheel issues, but the transports still seem to work well. The bx-300 was a lower cost 3-head, and still I think offers great value for the 100-200 you can get them for. The electronics seem to sound good too.
The 680 series uses an early transport that some consider the best ever made. There are some that consider the 680 series the best naks, but they are less acknowledged because of the zx series. The 680 series had many models that I can't recall specifically, but some had some features like self adjusting record heads and auto calibration in some parameters. The 680 series was the state of the art at the time. While some of the self-adjusting features were gadgetry more than performance, they do not have an affect on the capability of them. The transport is REALLY excellant as far as operation and working on. The electronics are excellent sounding, and I am thinking that you would have to have one side by side with the zx series to decide which was better. As far as that goes, you really could be splitting hairs. There are many slight design changes in all the years nakamichi made basically the same deck, some better and some cheaper.
Aside from the transport, the electronics are tuned. While most sound the same in the context of a system, I have yet to experience 2 naks that sound exactly alike in the context of making a tape and playing it on another system. Some of this is due to the tuning of the electronics, and some due to the design and voicing. I would generalize them as this- the older 580, 680, 480 series as more revealing, detailed, and anylitacal, and the cr, dr, and later as more weighty, punchy, and lush sounding. These are more forgiving of high frequency loss as well. The zx, lx, and dragon fall in between with much of the best of both extremes, being capable of extreme fidelity while at the same time not as touchy. Also, in the early ones, model #'s ending with a 'z' seem to differ from non 'z's' in that they sound closer to the zx series and dragon, especailly for playback. To some, this may be splitting hairs, but some may really tell the difference. When you consider the tuning aspects on sound quality, as well as the context you would use the deck, some might consider the bx-300 close to the dragon. My personal favorites are the 580 and 680 series, tuned PERFECTLY, as I feel I can get just a little more from them than the zx series. (I am currently using a 582 as my main recorder, because my favorite 582z is out of tune!)
Hope this helps and is interesting.
I don't know what the mfsl geo tape is, but if it is an azimuth alignment tape, or has an azimuth alignment recording on it, it would be excellent. I use a nak azimuth tape which has a -20 db 15khz tone recorded on it to get the play head in close alignment. I then record a 15khz like I am adjusting for bias using the built in test tones on the deck. I then flip the tape over and record the same without readjusting anything. If it is within 2 db on the meter, and hopefully one, and not dancing around more than one db, that is good. If anything changes in the alignment, the first to go will be the azimuth, and the meters will fluctuate as the tape goes out of the critical range, and looks like flutter. There are variations in tape shells, so flipping it over doubles any variation. I can get more into it if you like, but I have been long winded enough, time to post.
Basement,

The Mfsl geo tape is composed of tones for adjustment just like the nak azimuth tape you mention.

If one where to record, are the TDK MA-XG 90 type IV tapes the best for Nak's?

Thanx in advance!
I have found max tape to be the best in a nak. Also, nakamichi tapes used to be made by tdk, they were the same tapes. The best tapes were the ceramic ones made by sony, denon, and tdk (is that the max 'g'?). They were REALLY expensive, though.
Do you know where to get them? I would be interested. Also, do you know where I could get a mfsl geo tape? It sounds like a great tape.
Valleyplastic,

I have never owned a Dragon or an RX505. But I do currently own a CR-7, 682 ZX, 680, and Cr-4A. Having recently come to fine decks in just the last three years, my decision to go with my choices had to do with the repairability of the decks. The Naktalk forum used to have a FAQ section. Their technicians believed the 68x series were THE classic Naks for a combination of great sound, high reliability and great durability. But for recording, many of the Naktalkers think the CR-7 wins because it has auto calibration with great response throughout the whole frequency range. But the Dragon is the single best deck for playback if you are able to afford the expense of keeping it tuned because of its auto azimuth adjustment.

I believe Stephen Sank said Naks really set themselves apart from other decks in bass response. He has said the Studer B-215 series was also excellent. I have never seen him comment on the Tandberg decks which I am sure are very fine also. (TWL knows his stuff.) I do have a couple of Studer A-710 decks which I like very much. The sound quality may not be quite as fine as the Nakamichis, but it is still excellent. And the Studer parts can still be found and repaired because so many of them were standard studio equipment for so many years and parts are still abundant. The Studer was a $2400 machine when it came out. The Nak 682ZX was $1800.

I agree with basement that you may be splitting hairs with any of the Naks mentioned in the above posts. They all sound so much better, to my ears, than digital recordings.

One of the big problems is finding tapes. Occasionally people stumble onto odd lots of metal tapes made by TDK, Maxell, Fuji or Sony, and when found, buy them up immediately. But metal tapes are no longer being made, to my knowledge, by anyone. But type II, chrome tapes, can still be found. On a Nak the chrome tapes still sound excellent and I even like the type I, ferric tapes, which many say have superior bass response. But the middle and upper range does not have as much clarity. I really love the sound of a well made tape, and I am extremely disappointed that the medium seems to be irretrievably in decline. Good luck in your search for the right deck.

Jon