Decca cartridge experiences

I really don't expect any response to this as the issue of Deccas, and all the controversies they stirred up is now passé, but does anyone out there own and use a Decca, and if so, did you find a tonearm which will accomodate it? I'd appreciate it if anyone shared their experiences with it, good or bad. I've found two tonearms in which it will work well: one a Mayware tonearm in which it works superbly, and one a Maplenoll air-bearing 'table with fluid damping trough, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting this combo to work again (I've only recently re-acquired the Maplenoll)...I'll have to fiddle with viscosity, amount of fluid and so on.

To all those who haven't had a chance to hear this cartridge, and who like to experiment and have fun (and tear their hair out), then a Decca still has the most slam of any cartridge, and retrieves an incredible amount of detail from the groove. Though these days it no longer sells for pocket change (the Super Gold goes for $850, but there are cheaper models), it's still not in the stratosphere like so many others. It is dificlt to find a tonearm which will accomodate it as well.

I'd appreciate as well any experiences with the new versions, as I hear the new stylus profile makes it less difficult. I think the responses will be "0", but any cartridge which stirred up this much controversy (at least a while ago) is Good News, like the Shelter (which is far more accomodating, however)...Thank you for your attention, if any attention there is...
johnnantais
I am having very good luck with my Jubilee in the Schroeder Reference arm on the Garrard 501. I recently discovered that I could get it to track with no problems at just under 2 grams. Here the bass is what I remember the Londons being like and the top end is very quick and true. The anti-skating, however, has to be right on, especially for the inner grooves.

I have my J. Aleret MC2 Finish back, but I am having so much fun with the Decca.
Long ago I used a Decca London cartridge -- it has a maroon top. I really loved that cartridge, but for some reason I switched to a Denon 103D, and promptly forgot the Decca. Quite by chance I recently found it in a pile of extinct audio components in an old box in the garage (above the high water mark). It has only three pins, and so I am not clear about how to hook it up, nor am I very highly motivated since my Cello cartridge, although a bit long in the tooth, is excellent. I wonder whether it makes sense to send the Decca somewhere (but where?) to be refurbished.
Lapaix,

where are you ? in France maybe? If so, you can send it to one of 3 places in the UK - Presence Audio (current distributors of the London Decca Carts), Len Gregory at the Cartridge Man in London (who uses John Wright from Decc Special products) or Expert Stylus (don't know much about their retip pedigree for Deccas).
Your maroon will need a complete rebuild with new tip, new tie and suspension. Len Gregory charges about 200 GBP for this service (to include a fine line stylus - same as on his Music Maker moving iron pickups)
Well, I certainly wish I were in France; Nice would be nice. Maybe I could order some freedom fries to go with a '61 Petrus. Thank you for the links to the Decca rebuilders.
Goyescas, thanks for your reply. I have similar postulation as yours before. However, I asked that question to Mr. Hanrik, below is his surprising reply.

----
Hi,

The armtube should be Precision/red or red or green. Blue is too heavy
because the cartridge already is heavy.

Best regards

Hans Henrik

----- Original Message -----
To: "Hans Henrik Mørch"
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Arm tube to be used with Decca London Jubilee
> Dear Mr. Moerch,
>
> It has been quite a while since we last chat on your great
tonearm product.
>
> I am planning to setup a Decca London Jubilee cart on a DP6. I would like to have your advice on which particular arm tube to be used? My current plan
is to use it with a Pre-Blue arm tube.