$800 Cartridge Shootout and Upgrade Path

I am putting together an analog system, starting with the cartridge. I like a well-balanced sound with a slightly lush midrange and excellent extension at the frequency extremes. The cartridge should be a reasonably good tracker. Here are my choices:

1. Dynavector Karat 17D MkII
2. Shelter 501
3. Sumiko Black Bird
4. Grado Statement Master
5. Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Here are the upgrade cartridges to the above list, one of which would be purchased later:

1. Shelter 901
2. Benz Micro L2
3. Grado Statement Reference
4. Koetsu Black

Which one comes closest to my wish list? Which one would you choose?

Now, which turntable/tonearm combination (for new equipment up to $4,500) would you choose to handle a cartridge from the first group and the upgrade cartridge from the second group?

Any help you can provide is greatly welcomed. Thanks!
artar1
Hi Guys!

I own a Denon 103r cartridge bought at Audiocubes2.com, service was fantastic and the cartridge was delivered to my office just in time and at the agreed pricing.

I don´t feel the urgent need to go for something more, eventhough I would like to have one of Raul´s top top carts, this is sounding really nice - agreed with TWL on the mark.

Fernando

Artar - Congratulations for your analog purchase, you will surely enjoy it.
Hi Artar. Welcome back to the thread and congrats on your top notch purchase - ya done well! Did you start & finish with this combination? What cartridge did you choose?

Oakiris, I own a Teres 160, modded OL Silver with a 103r & TWL is spot on with his recommendation. If you're ok with a used OL Silver, you could place a want ad & save about $300 off list price. Try to find an OL Silver MkI because it's easier to mod than the MkII. Have you thought about a phono stage for a 103r yet? I hear an EAR 834 is very good for the price & you can find these used on the gon for about $750+. I have used a Tom Evans - Microgroove setup at .2mV & 1000 ohms that was ok for the cost. You can find one of these for about $500 used on the gon; one is currently listed .2mV & 100 ohms which could be a better fit then 1000 ohms for the 103r.

Good Luck
Dsiggia - I'm looking forward to the time - hopefully this month - when I can actually begin buying the equipment on my wish list! I'm still toying with the idea of getting the ZYX R100H cartridge, too, but know I should be practical and get the Denon cartridge instead.

I am indeed looking for a phono stage for my system. I have considered the EAR 834, as well as a Cary, the K & K kit (but I don't think I have the skills to build it :-( ) and various others, but haven't made a decision as yet. I seem to prefer the tube sound - wish they weren't so expensive! I certainly don't mind buying used from a trusted Audiogon seller. I'll have to see what is available when I actually have the $$$ in hand!

And then there are the IC cables I need. And no rich uncles to be had in my family!
"I visited Chris at Teres Audio yesterday and I have actually decided on the Teres 160 turntable with an Origin Live Silver tonearm. Not sure about the cartridge yet - I may have to get "cheap & cheerful" until I can afford something better. We'll see!"

Congratulations, Brilliant choices, you will never look back at these two choices. Dollar for dollar these 2 are very hard to beat, IMHO.

yes as twl says the 103 will work great with the OL arm, but why not wait a little longer till you can afford the 501 and get the 501, because based on your outstanding judgement you will eventually get one anyway, and in the end save some cash and not look back.
good luck
Ron