Hampton Hawes....where to start?

I've heard about this guy for decades, but never heard any of his music on the radio or anywhere else. If any of you are familiar with him, I'd like your suggestions of where to start. What would you consider his best album(s)? I have a Rhapsody account, I'd rather not have to listen to his whole catalog to find the gems. Thanks.......mitch
128x128mitch4t
Albert I agree and there are many talented jazz pianist who've come and passed on. This past weekend I just couldn't get enough of Theloneous Monk's " Live At The It Club" it just captivated me, love that brilliant man.
Charles,
I have all the Mosaic Monk releases and the Acoustic Sounds Tenor repress too. I did not know about "Live At The It Club" but found samples at All Music.

Odd this was done in 1964 and I somehow missed this recording all this time. Thanks for bringing it up.

Please follow the link and listen to Hampton Hawes and Charlie Haden together, this is the Artist House release I mentioned.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/as-long-as-theres-music-mw0000100247
Charles and Albert, you guys are the greatest. Thank you for your input.

I love this forum!
Try "Spanish Steps", "Green Leaves of Summer" and there are 2 "Live" recordings that were released from the Montmartre in Copenhagen on Arista Freedom. "A Little Copenhagen Night Music" "Live At Montmartre". Also "Here And Now" and "Four"are good.
Check out his biography "Raise Up Off Me". Great read but not sure if it's still in print.Enjoy the swing!!