The end of pono?

I've just heard that Neil Young has given an interview where he says that they have made a number of mistakes, gone through a number of CEO's, with him now acting as CEO, and that he woul like to get out of the hardware side of things. Aparrently just becoming a licencing authority, e.g.
"Pono Approved" product.

Also, I read that Pono will be releasing hi rez Beatles files. Really? And I thought that the most recent vinyl was cut from down sampled copies and that nobody at on the production side felt it mattered to have hi Rez copies.

Anybody know what is really going on?
raymonda
That's exactly my point. I don't think we disagree on this. All I was trying to say, was that after reading the article I posted the link to, the average person (non audiophile), is very likely to believe it and not question further. Its a pretty convincing piece, but its biased and doesn't tell the whole story. So the result now is that the door is closed for many people with regards to high rez music. Thinking that's all there is, people won't look to get better sound.

My argument is that at least give these people all the facts and let them choose if they want high rez or not. There will be plenty of people that will opt out and not want to get involved. And that's perfectly OK. But we don't want to loose any potential converts due solely to ignorance. If high rez is going to survive, we need to have as many people on board as we can. Just give them a choice based on all the facts.
As an aside,I have bought a LOT of stuff over the last 45 years.
I never sold anything but have gifted at least 7-8 full systems to everyone from my nephew to the cleaning lady.
Last few years I haven't been able to give squat away because
all and sundry listen to whatever they listen to on their
dumb-phones.
"This could easily be attributed to the digital filter differences at the two frequencies in most DACs. I use the same filter for both in my DAC, so its only the format in this case." - Steve N.
Empirical Audio

That is one of the main reasons to use high resolution audio, to use a smoother filter. And yes the differences are small but more noticeable on a high end system, especially if you are playing vinyl on it too.
The_Wizard - I am not sure of the connection between vinyl and high resolution files when it comes to hearing differences.