Ways to improve DAC performance???

Hello fellow A'goners,

I recently changed my system by selling my tube CD player and storing all of my CDs onto iTunes on my Macbook Pro laptop. I also subscribe to premium Spotify and really enjoy the quality of the sound.

I'm using a fairly inexpensive Ross Martin DAC, and the noise floor and detail are really excellent.

I'm new to this "music server" approach and I was wondering if there is additional software that would improve the quality of this setup.
It has to be Apple, not PC.

I've read of various programs and downloads that help, but I'm not sure if they are a substitute for a good DAC or something that can enhance a DAC's performance?

Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated, as I am a newbie in this new digital realm.

Thanks! Lincoln
lincnabby
If you are ripping CD's, then use XLD rather than iTunes.

Players like Audirvana, Amarra and Pure Music will improve the playback quality over iTunes.

The biggest improvement you can make is to use either a reclocker from your MacBook or even better, use a good USB converter with separate power supply. This locates the MASTER CLOCK outside of the computer and with a good clock and power supply. Buying a more expensive DAC and still driving it directly from a MacBook will not make a big difference. Fix the digital source jitter first. BTW, I use a 2009 Mac Mini with external Hynes supply as my reference at home and at shows.

Also, you will need good USB cable, such as Audioquest Coffee or even better Diamond and you will need a good digital coax, such as my $250 BNC-BNC with adapters. Unbeaten so far.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
You may want to consider foregoing a usb cable once you make the move to usb.

Discussed here:
https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home-1/announcements/improvingusb

I went that route with no usb cable and have experienced improvements in the sound I'm getting.
even better-dont use usb at all! get a soundcard. why change sound to usb than back when you can just get spdif from your puter with a good soundcard? I have done that, saved $2,000 on a usb converter-have better sound, and have NEVER looked back!
Cerrot - Okay, tell us which USB converters you have auditioned in your system.

Ive heard your soundcard.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Hi fellas!
Thanks for all of the replies. My apologies for not responding sooner. I didn't realize anyone even checked in- new Agon system doesn't notify of thread responses.
Steve N- aka Augioengr: Could you please recommend a good external USB converter with master clock/power supply? I would want to keep it under $300 if possible.

And I'll try the Audirvana.
Currently I have a 2 meter Belkin usb cable- nothing fancy- but I'm still a bit skeptical about high dollar options.

Thanks to all for your input- Foster 9: I read the article on no cable too, though I confess the concept went over my head a bit.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks! Lincoln