CD Player pairing with Electrocompaniet ECI3

Hi Audiogoners,

Looking for some suggestion on a Digital front-end (CD/SACD) to bring my Electrocompaniet ECI3 + Monitor Audio RS1 system to next level. I'm currently using a Rega Planet as a transport and a Musical Fidelity V-DAC as my digital front-end. The system sounds pretty amazing but I think there is potential to take it further by upgrading my digital source.

Does anyone have any ideas on which CDP to upgrade to? I'm looking for more detail and focus along with more flesh/realism in my sound with out loosing the existing musicality. Can I even improve upon my setup keeping the ECI3/MA RS1s? Please advise.
ket
Ket, the advise of the previous posters (to not bother messing with a good thing) is wise. You would do well to listen to them, and either divert the money elsewhere or save up for speakers that might offer more of the sound you're looking for.

Nonetheless, if you're still looking at upgrading the source, I can recommend the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC. Since you've heard the EMC-1 and generally liked it a little better than the MF, but not for the money, you would do better with the DAC. Used it is often a little under $1000, and supposedly has the same DAC as the CD player. The Rega Planet should function as a great transport. I own the ECD-1 and can attest that it is a strong, if not dated, DAC.

Alternatively, I would strongly consider a newer DAC. You MIGHT be able to get a previous model Audio Horizons DAC for under $1500. (I own one of these, too.) It offers both better resolution and musical palpability compared to the ECD-1. If detail is what you're primarily looking for, maybe a Bel Canto or Benchmark DAC would be to your liking. The good news with a used DAC is that you'd have the flexibility to both stay within your budget and potentially move to computer-based audio, and you could sell it for minimal loss. This would allow you to sample different options without losing much money in the process.

Good luck,

Michael
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC would be a great choice. Prices of used ones are around $1K.
I'll look further into those DACs. The Benchmark and ECD1 have gotten a lot of press and prices starting to dip a little. I guess DACs do in the end offer a little more flexibility plus they are a more cost effective path to upgrading as well.
My experience is somewhat dated as I owned my ECI-3 a few years ago. However, the best results I experienced was paired with a Sony XA7ES CD Player via Balanced interconnects. I still miss listening to that combo sometimes as it sounded way better than it ever should have. This was paired with a pair of Sonus Faber speakers.

I now use an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC and also own a EMC-1UP CD Player for my digital front end which would both probably match well with the ECI-3. However, that XA7ES paired with the ECI-3 was magic. Whatever you do make sure you utilize the XLR connections on that amp as it sounded significantly better than using one of the single ended inputs. (At least in my setup) Good luck!

-Chris
I did consider the Electrocompaniet ECD1... I found the Electrocompaniet ECM-1UP CDP a little laid back. I figured the ECD1 might have similar sound characteristics. I dont find the Monitor Audio RS1 lacking in any resolving power. Thats why I figured I could upgrade my source. The Benchmark I heard from various reviews is a little dry and a tad analytical. I should just a chance to go audition it myself. I'm looking for that balance like everyone else I guess between detail and musicality. Thanks for all of the recommendations. These are all good starting points...ultimately...I need to audition them all to get a better feel for what I am after.