30 Years of Perfect Sound?

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/why-cds-sound-great.htm

I'm interested get people's thoughts on this article.

Cheers,
Mark
markhyams
Johnnyb53,

It seems from what else I've read that streaming from memory is one of the better ways to go (so many ways to skin this cat).

As for the mediocre standards when making CDs, I couldn't agree more. There are CDs and then there are CDs. On an aside, I've read somewhere that Sony is coming out with better CD (pits and all), made to a higher standard that can be read by redbook CDPs. The only downside is when they'll get around to reissuing the ones that I want.

All the best,
Nonoise
Actually CD's don't spin at high rates as someone above has stated. I'm not sure of what RPM they turn at but if you've ever watched a CD player operate with the top off you will see that it turns much slower than an LP. And as far as them being flimsy, when you take into consideration there size they flex much less than most LP's. There not perfect, but technology a side, they still sound better than any hard drive solution I've heard or owned.
According to WikiAnswers, the CD spins between 200 and 400 rpm, depending whether the laser is reading the first or later tracks.

10-08-12: Tmsorosk
Actually CD's don't spin at high rates as someone above has stated. I'm not sure of what RPM they turn at but if you've ever watched a CD player operate with the top off you will see that it turns much slower than an LP.

What time/space continuum are you from? They spin far faster than the eye can follow.
a CD player operate with the top off you will see that it turns much slower than an LP.

I am not sure what CD players or turntables you have been using, but I have seen a typical CD player spin a disc and it is a lot, and I mean a lot faster than a typical turntable.

My LPs spin at 33.3 rpm or maybe 45 rpm, slow enough that if I watch closely I can move my eyes with the record, I have never been able to do that with a typical CD player. I never have used 78 rpm records however.

I would agree with GEOFFKAIT that the Wiki is probably correct in CD spin 200 to 400 RPM.

Much, much, much faster than a typical LP.