I-Mac for computer audio?

I am thinking of replacing my desktop PC and getting into computer audio at the same time. I was wondereing if I could use an I-Mac instead of the Mac-mini I read so much about. By necessity (wife!), the I Mac would reside some 40 ft. from the rest of my equipment and I definitely want a hardwire connection for SQ. I have read that Mac-mini's are affected by jitter and don't know if the I-Mac would offer improvement in this area or not. I know I would need an outboard DAC but other than that I know next to nothing about computer audio but I'd like to learn. Does my plan (using an I-Mac as a desktop computer AND a music server) sound feasible?
shoff
I like your plan. The implementation....not sure, as in 40 ft for one thing.

I'll tell you what I'm doing and see if it might work for you.

Using my Wifi: I have a dock (Cambridge iD100) that routs the digital stream of one of my iDevices (Phone,Pad or Touch) to a DAC for use in my main system. Been doing that for about a year. Very happy with the results.

A few weeks ago I got an Arcam drDock. It will do what the iD100 does but it also has analog outs using its own internal DAC (Burr-Brown I believe). Using it right now with an iPad (Pandora One) "hardwired" to a CJ ART pre/XA30.5/SF Guarneri system. Again, very happy with the sound.

If that doesn't resonate with you then maybe the Airport Express route. If your system has good resolution, you'd probably want to use the AE's audio out with a mini Toslink adapter into the DAC of your choice that would be "hardwired" into your system.

Either way(s), I think some form of wireless will be needed.
If you use a Mac Mini late 2009 model, you can use a 16-foot USB cable with no impact on SQ. Buy it on ebay. Late model Minis have cable/USB port issues and do not sound as good IME.

If you want the best off-the-shelf SQ at 40 feet, then go with Logitech Touch wireless. It can be reclocked for even better SQ. Not as good as wired USB though.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Audioengr,

Thanks for the info re: late 2009 Mac Mini and that it can use longer lengths of USB. If I can't move to a better place and decide to go forward, that makes it easier.

All the best,
Nonoise