Metrum Octave versus Eastern Electric DAC

I own an Eastern Electric DAC, the older one with volume control, no mods. Have any of you in the community compared these two units? Would I be better off doing the op amp upgrade, buy the newest EE with upgrades?

I have enjoyed the EE and like it well enough, but I am curious about the Metrum. I would like slightly more warmth, more fullness, a little more meat and bones, without losing any of the detail I now enjoy.
mikirob
Devilboy,

The Metrum Hex uses 8 DACs per channel instead of four. Check the Metrum website for additional info.

Don
hi dpatterson:

would you consider the possibility that a particular tube could provide more bloom and a more relaxed presentation than the ss mode of the minimax.

i have listened to both modes and have not liked the ss mode at all, even listening to a tube preamp and tube amp, so i am puzzled at your findings.

the very nature of tubes is the presence of less odd order harmonics and more even order harmonics than solid state.
I owned a first gen Minimax which I subsequently had the Bolder Cable Co level 1 modifications done to and while they were great dacs (in both iterations) I *think* I prefer my current Metrum Octave. I know I prefer the Octave to the LampizatOr 3 is replaced and going from memory it has a more natural presentation than the Minimaxs in either iteration. The Minimaxes with the Sabre32 (especially with bolder mods) *may* have been more resolved, but the Metrum just has good flow and is not fatiguing to listen to--especially with high res.
hi gopher:

i'll raise the same question again:

is it possible that with the "right" tube, the minimax (original) can sound more relaxed, fuller and richer than the metrum ?

i find it hard to believe that a ss product can be superior to a tubed product with respect to the characteristic classic tube sound.